If your running XWLPD Android 4.0 Firmware on your Galaxy S2 then you can use this article to root it.
Rooting your device should be easy and you shouldn’t have any troubles in applying all the steps I’ve listed in the tutorial guide. With these tools you will root the Galaxy S2 using CF-root utility by chainfire, an XDA elite recognized developer. Also, you will need to install CWM Recovery which will give you support for installing custom ROM firmware. Visit this section of our website to learn which ROM updates are supported by your Galaxy S2 phone.
Rooted Galaxy S2 with CWM recovery installation should be what every Android power-user wants to use on their devices as it offers them root access and they can easily browse the entire Android sub-system and learn more about their phone. Please note that this rooting guide will work only with Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 model number.
Make sure that you know what you’re doing and before moving to the tutorial guide you should read the pre-requisites guide below. This will help you prepare your device and your computer for the root and install process of CWM Recovery on your SGS2 phone. Here’s what you need to know:
- normally, the rooting process won’t mess up your Android files but if you wish to be sure that you won’t lose any important files then it is recommended for you to create backups.
- make sure that your device runs on Android 4.0 XWLPD firmware. You won’t be able to root your phone if it runs on different firmware.
- download and install the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 phone on your computer: Windows – X64 download link | Windows – X86 download link.
- applications can be backed up using the AppBak application. Here’s a guide on how to use it.
- enable USB debugging.
- make sure that your phone is fully charged and that you have the USB cable connection nearby.
Remember that we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and the phone’s isn’t rooted successfully and it gets bricked. The chances for this to happen are very small. You should read all the steps twice and in case you can’t understand what you need to do, then you should ask for help in comments.
How to root Galaxy S2 I9100 smartphone on XWLPD Android 4.0 Firmware:
- Download the CF-ROOT kernel from here. Save it on your PC.
- Extract its contents into a single folder. You should obtain a .tar file. Do not attempt to extract the .tar file. This file needs to be flashed with Odin and it will also install CWM Recovery files.
- Download ODIN 1.85 tool from here.
- Extract the contents from ODIN zip and place them in a single folder.
- Power OFF your SGS2.
- Now you need to boot into Download mode. Do it by pressing ‘volume down’, ‘home’ and ‘power’ button. All at the same time. You should see an android yellow warning logo.
- Press the Volume Up key to boot the download mode.
- Now, go to your PC and launch Odin executable.
- In Odin v1.85 you need to click the ‘PDA’ button and then you will need to browse for the ‘.tar’ file you’ve extracted at step 2. Move to the next step.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to your PC and then ODIN will display an ‘added!’ notification.
- Now, go back to ODIN and click START. This will begin the installation of XWLPD firmware and when that finished your device will be rooted.
- After the root process has been completed, your SGS2 will restart and when the Samsung LOGO appears you can remove the USB connection cable. ODIN will display a ‘PASS’ message.
NOTE: If you notice that ODIN cannot complete the process or a FAIL alert is displayed then you should disconnect your Galaxy S2 from your computer, then close ODIN, remove the phone’s battery and then place it back on your phone and power the SGS2 into download mode once again. Repeat the entire root process and this time you should be much more careful while applying the new files.
If everything went smoothly then you it means that you’ve successfully rooted the Galaxy S2 Android 4.0 and that CWM Recovery has been successfully installed also. For any extra questions you should use the comments section.