How to Root Samsung Illusion SCH-I110 with Odin
The Samsung Illusion is a low range Android based smartphone that was released on Verizon back on November 2011. So, if you still own this device, then you are probably looking into powering up its performances and why not in updating its system with the latest custom ROMs (unfortunately there aren’t official updates released for the Illusion). If so, then you should begin your work with a root procedure, as first of all you need to unchain your phone from the factory restrictions. Well, don’t worry because during the following lines I will show you how to easily root the Verizon Samsung Illusion by using Odin.
Now, it is important to read all the lines from this tutorial because the root operation is not official and more, guides like the present one are being considered risky and complex. Anyway, if you stick to my indications everything should be fine. As you will see below, before showing you how to root the Samsung Illusion, I first explained on how to prepare your handset for the installation (you are going to install some stuffs) procedure; well do apply the pre requisites if you want to safely complete this step by step guide.
You must learn how to root the Illusion if you need to access its internal system. By gaining root access you are actually making changes on your phone’s system, so all the default settings and factory restrictions will be removed. That’s why after completing the root tutorial, you will be able to customize the performances and the looks, make optimization procedures, improve the battery life (by removing in built programs), install complex apps and tools (like a custom recovery image and more) or flash custom ROMs (based on latest versions of the Android system – ICS or even Jelly Bean powered software).
Because of the mentioned aspects, by rooting your Verizon Samsung Illusion you will void the warranty of your device. Unfortunately this is the only negative aspect that comes with the root operation and you can’t avoid the same. Don’t worry though as if you don’t mess things up, nothing bad will happen. Also, the warranty can be easily restored if you downgrade your Illusion to stock Android OS, or if you apply a un-root process (if needed we will develop suitable tutorials for you –ask for them by using the comments area from below).
Now you know almost everything about the root operation. At this point you are ready to start the proper guide. But before heading to the actual steps you will have to prepare your device, so do apply the tasks listed below.
- This method will work only if you can use a Windows running computer, where you will have to install and run Odin (more about that will be explained a little bit later).
- Then, it will be a good idea to backup the Samsung Illusion data before going any further. It is unlikely to lose your data as Odin will be used, but in rare cases the system might get wiped out; therefore in order to avoid the unpleasant situations save your contacts list, call logs, market apps, text messages, EFS folder and everything else you need to (backup and restore apps can be downloaded for free from Google Play – or you can use our backup guides).
- Then, make sure that your phone and its USB cable are near you as you will have to connect your device with the computer.
- On both computer and smartphone you should first deactivate, or even uninstall, the security tools, like antivirus programs and Firewall protection, because these programs are usually interfering with the root operation.
- Also, you need to check the battery status of your Samsung Illusion; if you notice that there is more than 60% power left, then you can skip this step, else you need to plug in the charger; you phone might get turned off while you are trying to root its system and we don’t want that to happen.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset or else you will not be able to properly connect it with your computer.
Take note that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Samsung Illusion model number SCH-I110, so don’t try to root a similar or different device by using the next steps as you can end up in bricking your Android based smartphone.
How to Root Samsung Illusion SCH-I110 with Odin
- On your computer you need to download Samsung KIES for installing the Illusion drivers.
- Then, download and install Odin.
- Next, download the stock Kernel (from here) and the pre-rooted Kernel (from here) and save the files on your computer.
- Then, on your PC open Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot it into download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together.
- Connect your handset with the computer by using its USB cable.
- Take a look on Odin where the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue and the “added” message is displayed.
- If not you will have to reinstall the drivers on your PC (first disconnect the device by unplugging the USB cable and close Odin).
- From Odin select “PDA” and pick the Pre-rooted Kernel file.
- Don’t check the Re-partition section and checkmark the boxes of Auto Reboot and F. Reset time.
- Then, on Odin click on “Start”.
- Wait while the file is being flashed.
- Then, repeat the same steps from above for installing the stock Kernel because there are some bugs into the pre-rooted one.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed meaning that you are done.
In some cases, Odin might get stuck while you are trying to root your Samsung Illusion. If that happens, don’t panic, just perform:
- Close Odin.
- Reinstall the drivers on your computer.
- Force restart your phone.
- Reboot the smartphone into download mode.
- Open Odin and then resume the root operation from above.
Then, in the end you might notice that your device is stuck in a boot loop. For resolving this issue you will have to follow the next steps:
- Reboot your Illusion into recovery mode.
- Press and hold Power and Volume UP buttons at the same time.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations you have finally rooted your Verizon Samsung Illusion. This means that now you can look forward in installing a custom recovery image on your phone and also update it with a custom ROM firmware. Do share your experience with us and stay close for more Android based guides, tricks and tips.