After buying a new smartphone, the first thing you should do in order to take full advantage of its performances, is to unlock its system. But for doing so you must complete a few operations which will show you how to remove the factory restrictions out from the system. Now, for those who own the recently released Sony Xperia Ion, I have explained the following step by step guide, from which you can learn how to easily root your Android powered device. But before I present the proper steps you must first check which the pre requisites are.
Now, as mentioned, for obtaining more power from your Xperia Ion, you should first root its OS; but why? Well, maybe you will want to update it with a custom ROM (preferable Jelly Bean based one) firmware; these updates are being designed in order to bring features and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android platform, meaning that the phone OS will be optimized, customized and improved so that you can have access to it. Or, maybe you will want to install complex apps or tools (like a custom recovery image) which require an unlocked system for working properly. As you can see all these operations need a previously rooted handset, this being the main reason for developing the present tutorial.
You must be aware though as this process isn’t coming from Sony and has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. You will make changes into the internal system of your Xperia Ion by removing the restrictions, so by gaining root access you will also void the warranty. The only way available for restoring it will be by downgrading to the stock ROM. Other solution consists in updating with an official software but since there is no word about such thing, the downgrade is the only thing you can do. That’s why you should first backup the current ROM. In case something bad happens you will be able to easily restore the old OS.
Furthermore, this is being considered a risky operation, so before heading to the steps, make sure you backup all of your data which is saved on the internal storage memory of the Xperia Ion. Without completing this task you will not be able to access your personal info and I know you don’t want that to happen. You have some backup and restore tips below, so read the corresponding lines. Also I have mentioned other pre requisites too; I strongly recommend you to complete all the lines from the following list.
- If you need to save the text messages, download SMS backup and restore for Android.
- If the call logs are important to you, then download call log backup and restore tools.
- The contacts list can be saved by syncing with Google.
- You can save even the Internet settings.
- For other files like images or videos, use a computer or SD card.
- For the root operation you will need to use a computer, the Xperia Ion and its USB cable.
- On the computer and on the phone you must remove the security tools; Firewall and antivirus protection included.
- The handset must have enough power; if there is less than 60% power left charge the battery first.
- And you should enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone.
Now, another thing you must consider: you will not be able to root the Xperia Ion unless it has an unlocked bootloader. Unfortunately, you will have to go and complete this task and only after that you can return here and resume the rest of the tutorial. Take note that the warranty will be void once you unlock the bootloader so be careful in what you do. Also, the data must be already backed up as it will be wiped out.
Don’t apply this method on similar phones with the Sony Xperia Ion as you can brick them. Furthermore the next steps will not work only for the AT&T variant of the device, so if you own that version you will have to wait a little bit longer for a suitable root operation. That being said you can finally head to the proper tutorial, the one from below.
How to Root Sony Xperia Ion
- First download the insecure kernel from here and choose the file that suits your OS.
- Then, download the root package from here.
- Also download fastboot file from here.
- All these files must be saved on your computer.
- Extract fastboot in C:/ drive.
- Turn off the handset and enter the same in fastboot mode.
- For this press and hold Volume UP button while powering on.
- In fastboot mode connect the Ion with the computer.
- On the PC open command prompt by selecting “start -> all programs -> accessories -> right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator”.
- On the cmd window type: “fastboot flash boot filename.elf”.
- Filename must be replaced with the name of the insecure kernel you had downloaded before.
- Now, disconnect and reboot the device.
- On the PC extract the root package.
- Connect the smartphone again with the computer.
- On the PC run the batch file (the .bat one) and wait while your device is being rooted.
- In the end, unplug the USB cord.
- And go to Google Play and download Superuser and BusyBox apps.
There you have it guys, that was the how to procedure from which you could learn how to manually root the Sony Xperia Ion smartphone. You can now go and install a custom recovery image on it so that you can update with a custom ROM firmware. Do tell us how things worked for you and share your thoughts and questions with us (by using the comments area from below). The present guide was first developed and tested by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this possibility. Stay close for more tutorials and Android related tips and tricks.