The Sony Xperia S LT26i handsets had just received the official ICS 6.1.A.0.452 update (the leaked variant as the ROM hasn’t been yet offered by Sony), so a root guide should be well received. Therefore, those of you who had applied the ICS update on their Xperia S, should now follow this step by step guide for learning the root procedure, which in a few words, will unchain the already mentioned OS from the default settings, by removing all the factory restrictions. So, let’s get started.
The root access is mostly required by some complex apps (available on Google Play) that need full access to your phone’s system in order to run properly. But this is only the beginning, as the reasons for completing such an operation are many. You must root the Xperia S if you want to obtain more from its capabilities. How is this possible? Well actual quite easy, as flashing a custom ROM, or a beta firmware is what you need. But for being able to do this the root access must be granted. By applying a custom ROM, you will be able to power up the performances of your smartphone as all its capabilities will be optimized and customized.
As you can see, if you are a curious type of user, gaining root access is no longer an option for you. Anyway, there are some negative aspects too: the warranty will be void, because you will make changes into the internal system and because the factory settings will be removed. So, if somehow you manage to damage or brick your Android powered device, then you will be on your own, nobody will help you out. This unpleasant situation can be avoided by backing up the current ROM first.
Also, if we are to talk about the back up recommendation, then you should know that all of your personal info and data which is stored on the Xperia S should be saved. A full wipe of the system will be required so this is a must do operation. For learning how to perform a full and safe backup check our tips from the following list.
- Use a computer or an SD card for saving images or video files.
- Sync with your Gmail account and use the Android cloud for backing up and restoring the contacts.
- Save market apps.
- Backup internet settings.
- Download SMS backup and restore tools for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore apps.
- Don’t forget to backup the current ROM.
As a final note, the warranty can be restored if you apply the stock ROM, which is the 6.1.A.0.452 one, or if you downgrade to a previously official version of the Android platform. But once you do this the root access will be revoked. Remember that the ICS 6.1.A.0.452 update isn’t yet official as Sony didn’t released it so far. But if you just can’t wait we have showed you how to apply the software by following a manual method. The update and the root tutorial was first developed and tested by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this possibility.
The last thing that needs to be mentioned before the proper step by step guide is related to the pre requisites. It’s extremely important to complete these operations if you want to succeed in your work. It will only take a couple of minutes, so don’t skip it.
- Apply the tutorial only if you own a Sony Xperia S model number LT26i.
- Your phone must be on the latest ICS 6.1.A.0.452 firmware.
- Backup the data by following the up-mentioned tips.
- A Windows running computer and the USB cord will be required.
- On the PC you must have Admin rights.
- ADB must be installed on the computer.
- On the phone enable the USB debugging option.
- Check if your device has at least 60% of battery power left; if not charge it.
- Deactivate the security tools that run on your handset and on your PC.
As soon as the above list is completed you can go and start the root tutorial. Don’t worry as you are in safe hands. Just read the steps and try not to do things by yourselves.
How to Root Sony Xperia S that runs the Official ICS 6.1.A.0.452 ROM
- On your computer download the Nazomi Recovery Image from here and the Super User app from here.
- Also on the same PC download Kernel from here. Extract the tool received in order to obtain the kernel.sin file.
- Connect the Xperia S with the computer (via USB cord) and copy paste these files to its SD card.
- On the PC open command prompt: Start -> run -> cmd.
- On cmd enter fastboot flash boot recovery-nozomi.img.
- Then, enter your handset in recovery mode (disconnect and turn it off; then reboot by entering in recovery mode; connect the handset again with the PC).
- From recovery mode menu perform a full wipe.
- Then flash the Super User and the Kernel.
- On the cmd window now enter fastboot flash boot kernel.sin.
- Reboot the Xperia S.
- Remove it from the PC.
There you have it, that was the how to guide in which you can learn how to root the Sony Xperia S that runs the official ICS 6.1.A.0.452 ROM. If anything went wrong, tell us and we will try to help you out. Stay close for further Android related tips or guides and share your thoughts with us (about any problem related to the Android concept) in the comments area from below.