If you have bought the recently released Sony Xperia Tipo smartphone then you will probably want to root its system. Why to do so? Well, mainly due to its mid-range performances, as the phone specs are not really impressive. But that shouldn’t be a problem for you as by learning how to root your Xperia Tipo ST21i you will be able to easily improve these performances and also perform other complex operations on it (we will discuss about this a little bit later). You have the proper step by step guide below, so for the rest of the info, just check it out.
The Tipo is an interesting device, which was launched by Sony especially for the entry-level customers who want to experience the Android system for the first time. The handset is featuring the Ice Cream Sandwich OS with a possible Jelly Bean update for the future. There isn’t any info about the same though, so if you will want to apply an Android 4.1 based custom ROM firmware then you will first have to learn how to root your Tipo. This because a beta update can’t be flashed on a locked system that has the factory restrictions installed.
As you can already tell, gaining root access means that you will remove the default restrictions out from your smartphone. In this way you can obtain more control over the OS and prepare the internal system for other complex operations. Furthermore, you will be able to customize and optimize the system so that you can obtain more power and speed from your Xperia Tipo. There are also numerous apps that require root access in order to work properly, so for being able to install such tools you will have to complete the present tutorial. As soon as you are done with it, applying a custom ROM or flashing a custom recovery image shouldn’t be a problem for you.
Be aware though as the only negative aspect related to the root procedure is referring to the warranty. Therefore, by performing the below steps you will void your Sony warranty. If anything bad happens with your Xperia Tipo, then you will be by yourselves; if you feel uncomfortable about this, maybe it will be better to stop here. Anyway, the warranty can be restored but only by updating your phone to an official update released by Sony and suitable with your device (model version ST21i). Also, you can achieve the same by downgrading to the stock ROM, so I recommend you to note that down. As soon as you complete one of the above operations the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked, so the system will be once more installed with the factory restrictions.
Now, before we start with the proper steps, you should consider in backing up the data. During the root process the personal info which is saved on the internal storage memory of your phone might get wiped out, so the best for you will be to back it up first. For this, you can use dedicated apps from Google Play store (free distributed ones) as it will be easier this way. I have mentioned some tips below, along with other pre requisites tasks, so take your time and complete the same.
- For saving the text messages you should get SMS backup and restore apps.
- For saving the call logs you must download suitable tools for Android.
- In order to save the contacts you must learn how to sync with your Gmail account.
- Save the Internet settings.
- If CWM recovery is running on your Xperia Tipo, then you can use the tool for backing up the current ROM.
- Then, deactivate the security tools from your computer (you will have to use one) and handset.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your smartphone.
- If there is less than 70% battery power left, charge the Tipo.
- The computer must have active COM Ports.
Ensure that you are applying this tutorial only for the Sony Xperia Tipo model number ST21i and not for similar smartphones as you can end up in bricking your devices. This root procedure was first developed and tested by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for the same.
How to Root Sony Xperia Tipo ST21i
- First of all, you must download the root package; for this make sure you have access to a Windows running computer.
- Get the file from here.
- Save it to your PC.
- Extract the file.
- Up next, connect the Xperia Tipo with the computer by using the USB cord.
- From the extracted folder, open the “RunMe.bat” executable file.
- When opened, you must enter the number “4”.
- Hit “Enter” on your computer.
- The root operation will now begin.
- In the end, disconnect the phone from the PC by removing the USB cable.
- Reboot the device.
- Download the “Root Checker” app from Google Play and check if your phone was successfully rooted or not.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure from which you could learn how to easily root the Sony Xperia Tipo ST21i. You can now head and complete other operations on your phone as its system has been unchained. A custom recovery image and a custom ROM can be installed on your smartphone, meaning that you can update it to Jelly Bean now. For suitable update guides stay close to us as we will bring tutorials in the coming days.