Sony Xperia ZL is now ready for rooting and you can learn how to do it by using all the info listed in this article. Make sure that you’ll use the post only for this device and not for other Xperia Series devices.
Rooting your smartphone is extremely easy and, after you complete the root, then you will open up tons of new possibilities for your device such as installing custom ROMs, custom Kernels, themes, change boot animation etc. If you want to use this guide and you want to complete it without damaging your device, then you should read the guidelines listed below:
- Use the guide only for the SONY Xperia ZL smartphone. Don’t try to flash the files you find here on any other Android smartphone or tablet.
- The Xperia Z you’re about to root should be factory unlocked, it has to run the 10.1.A.1.350 firmware version.
- Also, it should have the CWM Recovery image installed. This is a custom Recovery mode that you will require in order to flash the rooting files. If your phone doesn’t feature it then you will need to read this how-to install CWM Recovery for Xperia ZL guide first.
- Fastboot should be installed on your PC and your device should feature a working Fastboot mode. The Android SDK files are required for this and you should remember where the Fastboot folder is located on your PC.
- Your device needs to have an external SDcard. Without one you cannot flash the files.
- This guide is for advanced users and you shouldn’t attempt to use it in case you don’t know what you’re doing.
- Make sure that your phone’s USB Debugging option is enabled.
- The phone’s battery should be charged and its power levels shouldn’t be under 40% when you begin the root process.
- Backup all your important data before getting to the tutorial.
- We cannot be blamed in case something goes bad and you lose data or you brick the phone.
- Make sure that there is no antivirus application currently running on your PC.
- If you cannot complete the root, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will help you with any extra steps.
- Don’t skip any instructions that I have listed.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should move on to the next part of this post.
How to root Sony Xperia ZL C650x on 10.1.A.1.350 firmware version:
- Download the root zip file from HERE. Save the file to your PC.
- Next, connect your device to your PC and move the file named SuperSU-1.25-Busybox-1.20.2-UPDATE.zip, downloaded in step 1, to your smartphone’s external SD card.
- Disconnect the phone from PC when the files are copied successfully, then Power it off.
- Boot your Xperia ZL to CWM Recovery now. When the custom recovery mode appears you should get to the next step.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ option from the main CWM Recovery mode screen.
- Select ‘choose zip from Sdcard’ and then you will have to browse your device’s contents. Find the Root zip file and load it into CWM Recovery mode.
- Next, confirm that you want to flash the new file.
- Wait for the root to be applied.
- Return to the main CWM Recovery screen when the install is complete.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for your phone to boot into normal mode.
- That’s it, you’ve managed to complete the rooting tutorial.
Check the root status by opening the App drawer and then verifying that the SuperSU icon is listed. Alternatively, you can download a root checking application from Google Play Store.
In case the root isn’t applied at your first attempt, then you should power off the device completely. After that you will need to to repeat the entire tutorial once again, as eventually you will manage to complete the root. If you’re having problems with completing the tutorial, then you can ask for extra help in comments, as we will try to come up with the best solution.
Remember that we cannot be blamed in case you lose any data in the process. Also, note that this files and root tools are only in experimental phase and it might take a while until we will get stable ones. That’s why you should use the tutorial only if you’re an advanced user.