If you are about to flash a custom ROM firmware on your Sony Xperia J, then you will notice that root access is required, not to mention that a custom recovery image must be installed on your phone. Also, these “pre requisites” must be completed if you are looking forward in tweaking your Xperia J for improving the performances or for customizing the looks, so the present guide will be more than useful for you; and that because during the following lines I will show you how to root (and then unroot – if needed) and install CWM recovery on your Xperia J device.
As you know, for being able to flash a custom recovery you first have to gain root access. Therefore, as you will see below on the proper step by step guide, first we will be checking on how to root your Sony Xperia J and then I will show you how to replace the stock recovery with CWM recovery tool. The installation procedure will only take a couple of minutes, so you will be back on track in the shortest time possible. Of course, in the end I will show you how to unroot your J system and this by downgrading / flashing the stock Android OS.
The root operation is complex and risky because it is unofficial. So the same has nothing to do with Sony. Now, you need to learn how to unchain the system of your Xperia J, if you want to have access to the internal system or if you want to install complex apps that require root access in order to run properly – such as CWM recovery. Unfortunately, by gaining root access, the warranty will get void – actually that’s the only negative aspect related to this operation. Also, on a rooted handset you will not be able to receive and install OTA updates, therefore you will have to manually flash the official Android firmwares.
But the warranty can be anytime restored and all you have to do for achieving the same is to un-root the system of your smartphone. As already mentioned, the unroot procedure consist in flashing / updating your Xperia J to stock Android OS as then the factory restrictions will be reinstalled and the bootloader relocked.
Now, the CWM recovery tool must be installed if you want to update your handset with a custom ROM software. Also CWM recovery can be used for applying backups, hard reset operations, maintenance, optimization and customization procedures and a lot more. Therefore, if you think that you might need to use one of the mentioned tasks, use this guide and flash CWM recovery on your Xperia J. Do note that you first have to root your phone or else the stock recovery can’t be replaced with a custom one.
In order to safely complete this tutorial you will have to apply the pre requisites first. So, take a look and perform the operations mentioned and described during the following list.
- Backup the Xperia J data because it might get corrupted or wiped out. Ensure that you are saving all of your personal info as all the data that is saved on the internal storage memory of your device might get erased.
- After rooting and flashing CWM recovery you will be able to apply complex backup operations and also you will be able to make Nandroid backups.
- You will have to use a computer or notebook, your phone and its USB cable.
- On your computer and device, uninstall the security tools (like antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection) and on your smartphone enable the USB debugging option by going to “Settings -> More -> Development Options -> USB debugging”.
- Charge the battery of your device; if there is less than 60% power left, your phone might get turned off while you are trying to root or install CWM recovery.
- This guide is compatible only with the Sony Xperia J so don’t apply the next steps if you own a similar or different Android based device – you might end up in bricking your handset.
How to Root Xperia J
- Download the root package from here.
- Place the file on your computer and unzip the same on desktop.
- Run the “Runme.bat” file – use Admin rights: right click on the executable file and choose “Run as Administrator”.
- Connect your handset with the computer.
- Follow the on-screen prompts for rooting the Xperia J.
How to install CWM Recovery on Xperia J
- Download the CWM recovery file from here.
- Save the file on your computer.
- Unzip the package on desktop.
- Run the “Runme.bat” executable file by right clicking on the same and selecting “Run as administrator”.
- Connect your smartphone with the computer.
- Follow the prompts for flashing the recovery file.
How to Un-root Xperia J (downgrade to stock ROM)
- Download the update file from here.
- Also download the Flash tool from here.
- Save both files on your computer.
- Install the Flash tool on the PC by following the on-screen prompts.
- Then run the program and select “Flashmoode” followed by “OK”.
- Select “…” and pick the firmware file from your PC.
- Turn off your Xperia J.
- Press and hold Volume Down buttons and while pressing the same connect your handset with the computer by using its USB cable.
- The installation procedure will automatically begin.
- In the end you need to unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
Good job; now you know how to root / unroot / downgrade to stock Android OS and install CWM recovery on your Sony Xperia J. Therefore, you can anytime update your smartphone with a custom ROM firmware or perform other complex operations as the system is unchained and you can use a custom recovery image for applying different files and apps. Do share your experience with us and with other users who might want to apply this step by step guide.