The Sony Tablet S can now be rooted, unrooted and decrypted thanks to a tool that has been developed especially for this purpose. The software was first tested on a Tablet S device by those of xda-developers so we have them to thank for providing the present method. Therefore, during the following tutorial I will show you how to easily and manually root, unroot, change region and many other useful stuffs which can be applied on your Android based Sony Tablet S.
The app is simply named “All in One” and in today’s guide I will describe the best way in which you can take advantage of its numerous features. Remember that the tool is designed to work only for a Sony Table S device so don’t try to use the same on other similar tablets as you can damage its system, or worst you can wreck it. Furthermore, the program isn’t developed by Sony and it has nothing to do with the already mentioned company. This means that once you root your Tablet S, the Sony warranty will be void. In case if something bad is happening with your tablet, then you will be on your own.
Sony released its Tablet S last year, in September. If you don’t know, the device is having some interesting specs, being also PlayStation certified. It is packing a 9.4 inch TFT display, a dual core NVIDIA Tegra 2 1 GHz processor, 3 GB of RAM, a 5 MP rear facing camera along with a VGA front facing one, DLNA functionality and the Android platform with Honeycomb on charge. It’s a really good tablet with high end performances.
But, if you want to take full advantage of its capabilities, you must learn how to root it. This will be the first step to do if you are looking forward in customizing its system, installing custom ROMs, or applying unofficial OS updates. Ice Cream Sandwich is everywhere, though it’s unlikely to see a near official release from Sony, so rooting your Tablet S in no longer an option for you.
As already stated, you can complete this operation, along with many others, by using the tool presented below. The software is offering a one click possibility of rooting and unrooting your tablet. This means that once you are familiar with the program, you will be able to perform different operation on your device by spending just a few minutes from your free time. In order to make a proper idea about this tool here are its main features:
- Root your tablet: enables root access on your Sony Tablet S so you can update the operating system, install custom ROMs or install apps that require root access.
- Un Root your tablet: in a few words, this will revoke the root access. This means that the warranty will be regained along with the default settings from your device.
- Region Changer: you can now get the OTA you want, as you can change the region from where you bought your Tablet S.
- Install ADB: this is a terminal from PC; without ADB you can’t perform operations on your tablet.
- Reboot tablet: reboots the device in normal mode.
Now, during the following I will show you how to use these features by describing the tool’s menu. All the aspects are detailed and explained in a few easy steps so everyone can understand what to do. But, before starting the proper tutorial, here is what you need to prepare. First, you must have access to a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer. Then, of course you will need your Tablet S and its USB cord. Finally, on the PC and on the tablet you must do the following:
- It’s recommended to backup the personal info stored on your device; so you should consider in backing up its data and for completing this you can read and use what we have described in this tutorial: download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- It is a good idea to uninstall the antivirus or the Firewall from the computer and from the tablet.
- Enable the USB debugging in your Sony device. This can be achieved by going to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Don’t connect the tablet with the computer when you are doing this.
- The battery status from the Sony tablet should display around 70% power left. If not charge the battery.
- You should back up all the APN Settings too, just for avoiding the unpleasant situations that might occur.
That being said, you can now proceed to the next section of the tutorial. Read carefully and do all as explained in the steps; there shouldn’t be any kind of issues on your way.
How to Root / Unroot the Sony Table S
- The first thing to do will be to get the tool. So, download the Sony Tablet S All in one Rooting tool from here and place it to the computer.
- Connect the tablet with the PC by using its USB cord.
- On the PC open the software. The up-mentioned features (options will be displayed).
- Choose the operation you which to complete.
- Further options are displayed once you tap on Custom ROM & Flashing Sub Menu, or on TWEAKS AND MODS SUB MENU.
Custom ROM and Flashing Sub Menu
- “Create decrypted update.zip”: the OTA update can be decrypted and then you can build a custom ROM firmware.
- Add root, “rescue-backdoor”, init.d to decrypted zip: you can create custom ROMs with root and build.prop mod built-in capabilities.
- “Sign decrypted custom-update.zip”: with this you can simply signs the modified update.
- “Disable recovery update.zip signature-check”: as the name says this option will disable the security for the update.zip custom ROM software.
Tweaks and mods sub menu
- Install “rescue-backdoor”: this will be perfect if you make something bad and offers bootloop protection. You can easily reflash the system.
- “Toggle OTA system updates and notifications”: you can enable / disable the update notifications.
- “Install init.d support”: push the bash scripts to ‘/system/etc/init.d/’ to get them auto start on device booting.
- “Install GPS Fix Mod”: with this you can get better, improved and faster signal.
- “Fake as other devices”: there are for fake tabs available: Acer A500, Motorola XOOM, Galaxy S 2 and Galaxy TAB.
- “[init.d] script] Increase SD/extSD read speeds”: adds init.d script which automatically on boot changes cache value, to get better read speeds.
There you have it; that was the how to procedure in which you can learn how to manually root, un root, decrypt and change region from your Sony Tablet S Android powered device. If somehow, something went wrong, or if you can’t complete one of the steps, share the issues with us and we will do all that we can in order to help you through.