Root Verizon Galaxy S4 I545 on VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2 Firmware
Rooting your Verizon device will always end up with a headache. Why? Well Verizon unlike other carriers is offering its handsets with strong factory restrictions that are preventing users from root and from unlocking the bootloader. Again, why? Mainly because after rooting you can install custom ROMs or perform other custom operations that have nothing to do with Verizon, the company who have manufactured the device or even with Google. Anyway, the same is applying for your Galaxy S4, but thanks to those of xda-developers now you can easily achieve root access on your smartphone.
By using a root solution developed and offered by those of xda-developers, during the following guidelines I will show you how to easily and safely root your Verizon Galaxy S4 on latest Android 4.2.2 VRUDMI1 firmware. As you know, each version of Android can be rooted with different methods which mean that the present root tutorial will not be compatible with another software, unless it is dubbed as VRUDMI1 –you can see my point here. Good, so if you have recently updated your Verizon Galaxy S4 to stock Android JB 4.2.2 VRUDMI1 firmware now you can root the mentioned ROM only by using the steps from below.
Do not use other root guides that are mostly compatible with older variant of Android OS because you can end up in bricking your handset. And since the warranty will get void, you will then be by yourselves. Yes, that’s right; the warranty will get void because the root operation is not an official procedure. By applying the steps from below, the flash counter on your Verizon Galaxy S4 will be increased which implies in voiding the warranty. So, as you can already tell, for restoring the warranty you will have to reset the flash counter.
But how to do that? Well, that’s quite easy; all you have to do is to downgrade your SGS4 to stock Rom, which is VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2 firmware, or by updating with an official Android software, which will be Android 4.3 – hopefully an OTA update will be released soon by those of Verizon.
Gaining root access on Android devices is extremely important because with root access brings access to the internal system and to the OS. Therefore, that’s why on a rooted Galaxy S4 you will be able to apply custom updates, install custom kernels, overclock the CPU, improve the battery life, bump the speeds, upgrade the performances and lot more. Root access is vital especially for the advanced Android users who need to use their smartphones on full power without dealing with factory and default restrictions and settings.
As usual, when tweaking your Android device it is recommended to backup the data first. Of course take care only of the data that is saved on the internal storage memory because the info from the SD card will not be affected. Anyway, your data should be in safe hands as for rooting your Verizon SGS4 Odin will be used, but in order to avoid the unpleasant situations I still think that completing a complete backup operation is a must have.
After that you need to make sure that you can use a Windows running computer. The computer is being required because the root package must be first downloaded on the same; also Odin will be running on your computer. Since this is not an official operation, on your computer disable the security programs because in some cases the antivirus programs are interfering or interrupting the root process. After that, from your Galaxy S4 you need to enable the USB Debugging option. Without doing this you won’t be able to properly connect your handset with the computer; so go to path “settings -> applications -> development” and ensure the same. Don’t forget to charge the battery of your device because if it gets turned off in the middle of the installation procedure, its internal system might get damaged.
As I have mentioned several time now, this step by step guide is compatible only with the Verizon model of the Samsung Galaxy S4 which is dubbed as I545. Also, root your phone by using this guide only if Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean VRUDMI1 OS is being installed; else you will end up in bricking your beloved Android based device.
How to Root Verizon Galaxy S4 I545 on VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2 Firmware
- First of all, if your device has an SD card plugged in, before going any further remove the SD card.
- Good; now download Odin on your computer.
- Unzip the file on desktop and follow the prompts for installing the same.
- Download Samsung KIES and by using the same install the Verizon Galaxy S4 drivers on your computer.
- Go to this page and download the root package.
- Save the root file on desktop and unzip the same.
- On your computer you need to launch Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Press Volume Down, Home and Power buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds – from the bootloader menu select “download mode” and boot to the same.
- Your S4 must be booted in download mode; then you need to plug in the USB cable for connecting the phone with the computer, where Odin must be running.
- As usual, Odin will recognize your handset: the “added” message will be displayed on the program while the ID:COM section from the same will turn yellow or blue.
- If there are problems, you need to unplug the USB cord, close Odin, reflash the drivers and repeat the steps from above.
- Good; up next, on Odin you have an option dubbed as “PDA”.
- You need to click on the same.
- Then, by using the window that will be displayed pick the root package from your computer.
- Don’t make any other changed on Odin; just click on “start”.
- Wait while the root process is running; when the “pass” message will be displayed and when the ID:COM section will turn green you will be done.
- Unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone.
- Then, copy the contents of Rootfiles.zip to the root of the internal storage (/My Computer/[Phone Name]/Phone/ and place root_de_la_vega.sh along with root_files -folder).
- Reboot once more.
- Now delete the files added before on the root of the internal storage memory.
- Do a final reboot.
- Re-insert the SD card – if you had one.
Perfect, you are done. Now if you have encountered problems while completing the steps from above, I recommend you to use this dedicated step by step guide for being able to resolve the issues. Anyway, that was all for today, so congratulations you have successfully rooted your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean VRUDMI1 Firmware. Do use the comments field from below if you want to talk with us, if you need our help or for sharing your experience with the other Android users who might want to use this tutorial.