As you know, if you are on a budget and you can’t afford to buy a new smartphone for enjoying more power and an improved Android experience, the only thing left to do is to customize, optimize and upgrade the performances of your current device, especially if your handset is a mid-range phone with outdated specs and features. In order to help you out, during the present step by step guide I will show you how to easily overclock your Android device. This tutorial is compatible with the HTC Wildfire S, so the next steps will teach you how to overclock the Wildfire S CPU.
For those who don’t know, the overclock process is a complex operation that is usually applied on computers for improving the CPU speed. So, by overclocking we understand: changing the maximum frequency supported by the processor for bumping the speeds and the performances. Of course, if you do it without consulting a dedicated guide you can end up in burning the CPU, meaning that you will brick your device. So, returning to our job, don’t overclock the HTC Wildfire S without consulting the guidelines from below.
Considering the mentioned aspects, you should overclock the Wildfire S because: you will be able to gain more power and speeds, you will be able to install apps that usually don’t work on your phone, you will be able to watch HD movies and you will be able to play 3D games. In a few words, the speeds will be improved and you will be able to take full advantage of your device and use its capabilities at maximum power. The best is that you can overclock the Wildfire S CPU easily and without dealing with risky procedures, but more about this a little bit later.
Now, you should know that this operation isn’t official, so the tutorial has nothing to do with HTC or Google. Actually, you should thanks those of xda-developers for the same as the custom kernel which will be used is being provided by the xda team. Yes, a custom kernel is being required so before overclocking your HTC Wildfire S you will have to deal with the flashing operation. Anyhow, if your handset is running on a custom ROM firmware, you may be able to skip the custom kernel – usually the custom software are coming with modified kernels on which overclocking is enabled.
Since this is an unofficial process, the warranty of your device will get void. Don’t worry, you can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock Android OS. Furthermore, for being able to overclock your Android handset first you have to root its system because a custom kernel can be applied only on unchained devices. Next, after gaining root access you need to install a custom recovery image, a tool which will also be used when flashing the custom kernel.
Don’t forget to backup the Wildfire S data as otherwise you will lose everything that’s important to you. Save the contacts list, market apps, internet settings, text messages, calendar info, personal accounts and info, and basically everything else you might need. After backing up the data, ensure that you can use a computer, your smartphone and its USB cable. Then, deactivate the security tools from the computer, charge your device and enable the USB debugging option from its system.
Now, for learning everithing that’s related to overclocking your Android device, go and read our dedicated step by step guide – click on the link from above. Also, complete the next steps only if you own the HTC Wildfire S as the tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone.
How to Install a custom Kernel on HTC Wildfire S
- From this page download the required file.
- Save the file on your computer – place the kernel on desktop and don’t unzip the file.
- Transfer the file on your phone’s SD card.
- In order to do so, connect your handset with the computer.
- Use the USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Just copy-paste or drag and drop the kernel file.
- Remove the USB cord and turn off your phone.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick and flash the custom kernel.
- Select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If your phone will get stuck in a boot loop, reboot into recovery and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
How to Overclock HTC Wildfire S
- After rooting, installing a custom recovery image and flashing a custom kernel, you can safely overclock your Wildfire S.
- In order to complete the operation, take your phone and tap on the Google Play icon.
- From Google Play download one of the following app: No-frills CPU Control (recommended), or SetCPU.
- Install the tool on your smartphone and run the same.
- For overclocking the CPU, use and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Close the app and enjoy the new performances.
Good job, you have successfully overclocked your HTC Wildfire S; test the results and then return here and share your impressions and experience with us and with other users that might want to apply this tutorial.