If you want only what’s best for your OnePlus 3T then this tutorial is for you. Also, if you are an advanced user who likes to play with the built-in settings in order to test the performance of your smartphone you will definitely find the guidelines from down below more than useful. There I will show you which are the best 3 custom ROMs that can be safely used on the OnePlus 3T. And in the end I will also tell you how to successfully install these custom updates on your own device.
So, first of all I will detail a little bit each ROM separately so that you can choose wisely depending on what you want to achieve on your OnePlus 3T. Then I will talk about the risks and the advantages that are related with such an update operation and finally I will teach you how to take care of the essential pre requisites in order to make things happen. And of course, right in the end I will show you the steps that must be completed if you want to use one of these top 3 custom ROMs on your OnePlus 3T.
Each of these updates is based on the latest Nougat firmware and comes with extra features pre-loaded. Thus, by using a custom update you will be able to test apps, processes and capabilities that cannot be found on the stock Android software. However, keep in mind that an unofficial ROM is only based on the default Android OS but it is in fact only a free aftermarket distribution of the main core system. Overall, the software is developed by third party devs and can’t be related in any manner with your OEM or with Google.
Anyway, here are the top 3 custom ROMs available for the OnePlus 3T:
The TugaPower software is based on the CM 14.1 firmware, so it is an Android Nougat system. It is a great Android ROM as it comes with a dedicated theme engine through which you can easily personalize and customize your OnePlus 3T and the default Nougat OS. In addition the update brings the Viper4Android FX which is one of the best tool for sound customization. Other than that, the TugaPower platform is light and fast and will ensure a stable and secured Android experience on your own device. You can download this firmware from this page.
If you want to test various features, apps and tweaks, the Resurrection Remix will be perfect for your OnePlus 3T. Almost all the third party features are ported on the Resurrection Remix system which makes this update ideal for those who are always trying to customize and optimize the performance. With this ROM installed you can bump the system speed, you can upgrade the battery life and you can change how the Android core system performs on a daily basis. You can also personalize the UI by adding or removing widgets and by smartly managing the theme engine. You can get the Resurrection Remix custom ROM package from here.
The CyanogenMod replacement is a good start for the users who are more used with the stock Android software. The Lineage platform is light, fast and also secured though it isn’t pre-loaded with so many features like the Resurrection Remix system. However, this update will provide a stable and a smooth Android experience all the time regardless the apps, games or processes you want to run on your OnePlus 3T. If the Lineage OS is your choice, download the software file from here.
Good. So these are the ROMs that I recommend you to use or test on your smartphone. As promised, now I will detail the risks and the advantages related with such an update operation.
Well, as already mentioned, an unofficial Android update can’t be associated with Google or with OnePlus as it is developed by third party devs. So, as a result the warranty of your OnePlus 3T will be void once you will start the update process from down below. The risk is that if you somehow manage to soft brick your smartphone, taking it back to service will imply in spending money – you will have to pay for the technical assistance. Therefore, I recommend you to check which are the most common Android software related issues that can be caused on your OnePlus 3T and also how to manually address these malfunctions.
Another risk is related to your data. During the flashing process you will have to make a hard reset and to clear app data cache which means that you might end up in losing your personal data, info, accounts and files. That’s why you should first backup your OnePlus 3T – sync your data with your Google Account, use built-in cloud storage platforms or download backup and restore apps from Google Play.
In addition I recommend you to make a Nandroid backup process. During this dedicated operation you will manage to save the current Android system that runs on your OnePlus 3T. In this way you can avoid further unpleasant situations – for example, if the new ROM isn’t on your taste you can use the Nandroid backup package in order to go back to stock.
The advantages related with updating your OnePlus 3T with a custom ROM firmware will vary depending on the Android Nougat system you will choose. However, remember that all the 3 ROMs mentioned above are fully stable, secured and pre-installed with different features that can extend your access towards the Android core system. Overall, with one of these firmwares installed your smartphone should run better and faster while you will enjoy an upgraded battery life.
Good; now, if you already decided to resume these guidelines, let’s talk about essential pre requisites:
- Root your OnePlus 3T – a custom Android ROM can be flashed only if your phone’s system is unlocked; otherwise you cannot replace the stock Android firmware.
- Install a custom recovery image on your phone – the ROM package (offered in form of a .zip file) can be flashed on your device only through a custom recovery image.
- Do note that the custom recovery image will be also required if you will choose to make a Nandroid backup as recommended above.
- Make sure a computer or a notebook can be used. On this computer you will have to download the ROM package and compatible Google Apps.
- Your OnePlus 3T smartphone and its USB cable must be there too.
- On your phone you must become a developer; you can do that by tapping 7 times repeatedly on Built Number from “menu -> settings -> about phone”.
- Then, from Developer Options (within “menu -> settings”) you will have to check the USB Debugging field.
- Charge your OnePlus 3T if that’s required – usually, if the power is lower than 50% a charging process is more than recommended.
- If your phone is running low on power, during the update operation it might get switched off. Unfortunately, if that happens, you might end up with a soft bricked handset.
How to Install a custom ROM firmware on the OnePlus 3T
If you want to use one of the top 3 custom ROMs for the OnePlus 3T you will have to follow the steps from below:
- First, use the links from above and download the ROM you want to flash on your computer.
- Then, download compatible Google Apps package from here.
- Save these files on desktop – you must be able to easily access them.
- Power on your smartphone; then ensure an USB connection between your device and your computer.
- Select the downloaded files and transfer them on your phone; when the copy-paste process is completed you can unplug the USB cord – the computer is no longer required.
- Power off your handset – press and hold the Power key for a few moments or press the Power button once and select “power off”.
- Reboot recovery mode on your OnePlus 3T.
- A wipe should be the first thing to complete from recovery. You can perform this operation easily by choosing: “wipe cache partition”, “wipe dalvik cache” and “wipe data factory reset”.
- From recovery tap on Install and load the Android Nougat based firmware file (if you are using a different recovery image than TWRP recovery choose “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Resume the flashing process by following on screen prompts. And repeat this last step for installing the Google Apps package.
- When done, return to main menu of recovery.
- From there now select “reboot system now”.
- That’s all.
Well, there you have it; these are the best 3 Android Nougat based custom ROMs that you can use on your OnePlus 3T. Enjoy and tell us how things worked for you by using the comments field from down below. Also, stay close for further update tutorials and other essential Android related tips and tricks.