Unlock Bootloader and Root Sprint LG Optimus G LS970 with GAIO Tool
The Sprint model of LG Optimus G can now be rooted using this tutorial thanks to developers at XDA forums. Use this guide and you will learn how to successfully use a single tool and easily root, install custom recovery and unlock bootloader of your Optimus G Sprint device.
TheShadow1 is the user and member/ developer at XDA who managed to create the all-in-one application. It will work for Windows and Linux computers with Java installed on them. This tutorial will allow you to unlock your device and after that you can easily install new custom ROMs and other customization files. Make sure that you read the entire post.
In order to make sure that you complete this guide successfully, you should read the guidelines below:
- Sprint variant of the LG Optimus G model number LS970 is the only device that works with this tutorial. Do not use this tutorial with any other different variant of the Optimus G.
- Disable all antivirus applications from your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Android Developer Options.
- Backup all your important data by moving it on your computer.
- Don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and your brick the device in the process. Also, we can’t be blamed in case you lose any data files while unlocking the bootloader of your device.
- Charge the device’s battery until it reaches at least 50% power level. Don’t
- Read the entire post and make sure that you don’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
- In case you have problems completing the root then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, it means that you’re ready to begin the rooting process.
How to unlock bootloader, root and install custom recovery for SPRINT LG Optimus G L970:
- Download the GAIO tool jar file for your device from HERE. Save it on your device.
- Connect the smartphone to your PC. It should be in Charge Only mode.
- Launch the GAIO tool by double-clicking it. If you’re using a Windows PC, then you should use the ‘Install Windows LG Driver’ option. Get to the next step when done or skip this step if you’re using a Linux system.
- Now, select ‘Root LG Optimus G’. This will root your phone. Complete the step and get to the next step when done.
- Choose ‘Unlock Bootloader’ in order to unlock the bootloader of your smartphone.
- Next, if you want to install a custom recovery then you should select ‘install custom recovery’ option. When the recovery is installed you should be done.
- When you will boot into Fastboot Mode, you won’t see its menu but you should know that it is there. You have to press the Volume Down twice in order to open the Recovery Mode.
- That’s it, you’ve successfully applied all the steps you had to take in order to root your phone.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete this tutorial. If you cannot root your phone, then you should ask for more help in comments.