How to Unlock the Bootloader and Root HTC One X+
If you have recently bought the high end HTC One X+, then you are probably looking for a method that can be used for unchaining the system of your handset. The best way in which you can remove all the factory restrictions from the internal system of your phone is by unlocking the bootloader and then by rooting the OS. As you can already tell, that’s exactly what I will be showing you during the present step by step guide: how to root and unlock the HTC One X Plus bootloader. The guide is not hard to complete, but there are numerous steps to take care of therefore be careful and try not to mess things up.
This guide was first developed and tested on the HTC One X+ by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks) who were able to safely root and unlock the bootloader of the mentioned handset. Take note that this is a complex and risky operation that has nothing to do with HTC. Furthermore, we shouldn’t be held responsible in case this tutorial isn’t working for your device. If you are new to this kinds of tasks maybe it will be better to stop here, because in case you apply something wrong you can end up in bricking your Android based smartphone.
But why to unlock the bootloader and root your HTC One X Plus? You may wonder this as your handset is indeed a powerful one with high end specs and performances. What you should know is that a locked bootloader means that the internal system can’t be accessed and it is installed with factory restrictions. Then, without rooting you can’t install apps that requires root access in order to work or tools that must access some internal files from your phone. Furthermore, without previously root and unlock the bootloader of your One X+ you will not be able to update with custom ROMs firmware or install custom recovery images on the same.
In order to conclude, if you want to obtain more power from your smartphone, remove the factory restrictions, gain access to its internal system, or power up its performances, you must first learn how to root and unlock the bootloader. Then, you will be able to use your HTC One X+ on its full power.
Anyway, as mentioned, this is a custom operation, meaning that once you start to apply the same the warranty of your device will get voided. For the future, you can restore the warranty but only by downgrading to the stock ROM, or by updating with an official update released by HTC and suitable with your phone. Then, the bootloader will be relocked and the root access revoked.
Now, before starting the proper guide you must first backup the One X Plus data. You can use our backup and restore guides by searching through the how to section; you have there all the info needed for performing a full and safe backup. Then, after saving the data, you must make sure that you can use a Windows running computer with internet access enabled; the USB cord should also be near you as you will have to connect the device with the PC. Enable the USB debugging option on your One X+ and charge the battery as the unlock process is quite long. Finally, don’t apply the next steps if you own a similar handset with the already mentioned one as you can easily brick it.
How to Unlock the HTC One X+ Bootloader
- Go at this page and create an account on the HTCDEV page.
- Then, download the fastboot file from here.
- Create a new folder on the C drive named fastboot.
- Extract the downloaded file on the new folder.
- Now, go to this page.
- There select “All Other Supported Models -> begin unlock bootloader”.
- Power off the device by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds.
- Next, press the Volume down button untill the handset enters in HBOOT mode.
- Select and enter the Fastboot mode on your phone.
- Connect the handset with the computer.
- On the PC open the command prompt window by heading to “Start -> run -> cmd”.
- Enter the commands: “cd c:\fastboot” and “fastboot oem get_identifier_token”.
- From the HTC Dev Website take the provided code and copy it at the bottom of the HTC page.
- On your email address you should receive an unlocked code.
- Note the code down.
- Return to the cmd window and enter the next command: “fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin” (of course place the code you have just received).
- On your phone the screen will change; all you have to do is to press the Volume up button to accept and the Power one to confirm.
That’s all; the bootloader of your HTC One X+ has been unlocked.
How to Root HTC One X+
- Connect the phone with the PC by using its USB cord.
- On the computer download the root tool from here.
- Extract the downloaded file.
- Then, run the “Rootboot.bat” executable file on your computer.
- Press “enter” to start the root operation.
- Wait until the process is done.
- In the end, you will be prompted with the end of the root procedure.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Reboot the smartphone.
- Go to Google Play and download the Superuser app and update the binaries.
So, that was all for today. I know that there are a lot of steps to complete, but in the end you will succeed in rooting and unlocking the HTC One X Plus bootloader. Do tell us how things worked for you and share your thoughts with us by using the comments area. If you had troubles in understanding the steps share the issues as we will try to help you through. Also, stay close or subscribe to us as more tutorials suitable with your One X+ will shortly come.