Unlocking the bootloader of Sony Xperia Z can be easily achieved as the how to procedure can be performed by checking Sony’s dedicated webpage that offers the official way in which you can learn how to free your phone. Of course, saying that this operation is an official one is not quite true, as you will void the warranty of your device by unlocking the bootloader though Sony comes with its own solution in order to give an helping hand for those who want to remove the factory restrictions from their Android based smartphones.
Anyway, the process is complex and risky, so you should be careful when trying to unlock the bootloader of your Sony Xperia Z. Also, and recommended, you can use a dedicated step by step guide, like the present one, just to be sure that you are avoiding the unpleasant situations. You can choose to use our general “how to unlock bootloader of any Sony Xperia devices” tutorial or you can apply the following lines for learning a specific method that can be completed for the Xperia Z handset.
First of all let’s talk about some general aspects for making it clear what is with the bootloader of your Xperia Z. Well, the bootloader is a small program that runs each time when you boot your smartphone. The same will load the OS and some essential programs from the ROM memory and into the RAM one. Therefore, the bootloader is located into the ROM memory of your Xperia Z. Now, you can compare this program with the one that is running on your computer or notebook, basically is the same thing. Now, when you buy a new smartphone it will be delivered with a locked bootloader as a factory restriction.
Since most of the handsets can be rooted only if the bootloader has been previously unlocked, completing this operation isn’t an option for you. As you know, if you want to root the Xperia Z you must first unlock its bootloader, so take your time and first apply the below steps. Also, after completing this step by step guide you will have more control over the internal system of your device and you can start thinking in performing other tasks like: customization and optimization procedures, gaining root access, installing complex apps (like CWM recovery) or updating with a custom ROM firmware.
But, as already mentioned, if you want to unlock the Sone Xperia Z bootloader you should know that the warranty will be void. You can restore the same by relocking the bootloader which can be achieved by re-installing the official and stock OS, or if you reset the flash counter of your phone. Also, updating with OTA update on future might be a problem if you unlock the bootloader which means that you will have to manually update your handset from now on. Anyway, don’t worry as nothing bad will happen if you stick to the present procedure. But, if you do mess things up, you can end up in bricking your Xperia Z.
Before starting the proper tutorial it will be a good idea to save the Xperia Z data; therefore apply a full backup for saving your personal info. I’m talking about the text messages, contacts list, internet settings, market apps and basically everything else that is being saved on the internal storage memory of your phone. Now let’s take a look over the essential pre requisites; then you can safely begin the how to operation.
- You will have to check if your Xperia Z’s bootloader can be unlocked or not. For that, open the phone app on your handset and dial *#*#7378423#*#*; then from the service menu select “Service info -> Configuration -> Rooting Status”. Now in front of the “Bootloader unlock allowed” option you should have “yes”; if different you can’t unlock the bootloader of your Xperia Z.
- Then, you need to have access to a Windows running computer.
- On the same download and install the Android SDK by using the link from here.
- Also, download the file from here and unzip the same.
- Then copy paste the android_winusb.inf file to “extras -> google -> usb_driver” (in the same folder you have installed the Android SDK). If asked replace the existing file.
- Also, on the phone dialer enter *#06# and note down the IMEI; you can do this by going to “Settings -> About phone -> Status” too.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device.
- Check the battery status: if there is less than 60% power left it will be a good idea to charge the battery.
- On the computer and on your Xperia Z deactivate the security programs and the Firewall protection.
- Apply this tutorial only for the Sony Xperia Z as the below steps will work only for the mentioned device.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Sony Xperia Z
- Go to this page; and then click on the “Start unlocking the boot loader” button.
- Click on “Continue -> Yes, I’m sure” and proceed to the next page; from there agree with the Legal terms and click on “I accept”.
- On the page that will now be displayed enter your name and email address, the IMEI (the first 14 numbers) and finally click on “submit”.
- Now check your email as the unlock bootloader key will be provided; note this key down as you will need it.
- Take the Xperia Z and turn it off.
- While pressing on the Volume Down button connect the phone with the computer by using the USB cable.
- The handset will boot into foastboot mode and a device installation screen will be displayed on the computer.
- On that window, select “Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers”; then click on “Have Disk” and go to “Android SDK -> extras -> google -> usb_driver”, and select the “android_winusb.inf” file.
- From the list select “Android Bootloader Interface” and follow the prompts for installing the proper drivers.
- Then, go to “Android SDK -> platform tools”. Press and hold the SHIFT button on your keyboard, then right-click on an empty part of the screen and open a command prompt window.
- In the cmd window enter the command: fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version and press Enter.
- Up next, on the same cmd window enter: fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY (replace key with the key that was ent via email).
- The bootloader will now be unlocked.
- In the end the “finished” message will be displayed; you can type “fastboot -i 0x0fce reboot” in order to reboot your phone.
- You can unplug the USB cable now as we are done.
So, there you have it; you now know how to unlock the Sony Xperia Z bootloader. You can root your device now and also you can look forward in updating your phone with a custom ROM firmware as everything is being prepared for the same. Use the comments section from below if you have questions related to the procedure explained above, or for sharing your experience and thoughts with us and with other users who are being interested in this topic.