HTC Droid DNA Unlock Bootloader should be the first guide that all power-users need to read before installing any applications or adding files to your smartphone.
The HTC Droid DNA can easily have its bootloader unlocked, and you can learn how to do it by reading this post. After you’ll unblock the bootloader you will be able to install new custom ROMs, kernels, modification files and any other things that will allow you to customize your Droid DNA phone in any way you wish. Read the entire post and only when you’re sure that you know what you’re doing, move to the tutorial guide.
Usually, Verizon doesn’t like their device to be on unlocked bootloaders but it seems like the HTC Droid DNA can be unlocked from HTCdev and you should do it before any security patches will be released to fix it. Now that you know all this general info, move to the pre-requisites guide and learn what tools you need and what you need to do before starting to unlock the bootloader of your phone.
Use the info below to correctly configure your PC and your HTC Droid DNA so that you’ll unlock its bootloader from your first attempt:
- This guide will void your warranty. Not future update will be available for your device and the only method you can use to upgrade your device will be by using manual tutorial and applications.
- Use this guide only with the Verizon HTC Droid DNA smartphone. Do not attempt to flash the files listed here on any other device.
- Install the HTC Sync Manager software on your computer from HERE.
- Note that this guide will remove all data from your smartphone and it would be better if you’d apply the steps before you install any applications, transfer files etc.
- You will need a working internet connection as you will have to connect to HTCdev’s website.
- Enable USB Debuging option from the phone’s Developer Settings.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that you won’t see it discharging before applying the changes I’ve listed in the tutorial.
- Don’t blame us in case something goes wrong and you cannot use your phone after applying all steps. Make sure that you read the entire post and only when you’re sure that you can complete the install, you should move to the ‘how-to’ guide. This is a post that should be applied by advanced / power-users.
Now that you know all of the above, you should continue reading the next part of this post and then you can begin the ‘bootloader unlock’ process. Remember that you can use our comments field to ask for extra help, but, make sure that you post a detailed comment and that you tell us exactly what steps you took and where you got stuck.
How to unlock HTC Droid DNA Bootloader:
- Download the Fastboot zip file from HERE. Extract the files contained within it and save them to a single folder named ‘fastboot’, on your PC desktop. You will have 4 files in this particular folder. NOTE: The HTC Sync Manager Software should be installed on your computer before moving to the next step; the download link for it can be found in the pre-requisites guide above.
- Launch your Internet web browser and go to HTCdev’s web site here. Create an account by clicking Register or click here to get to the registration web page. Verify your e-mail and after that you should log into your account. In case you already have an HTCdev account, then you simply need to login and then move to the next step.
- Open the ‘Unlock bootloader’ web page here. From the ‘—-Select your device—-‘ dropdown menu select ‘All other supported models’, and after that click the ‘Begin Unlock Bootloader’ button. Confirm the pop-up alert and accept all legal terms and check all the boxes. Now click on ‘Proceed to Unlock Instructions’.
- Follow the on-screen instructions shown on the HTCdev web page. These should say ‘Power off your device’, boot your phone into bootloader mode by pressing simultaneously ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons. Choose ‘Fastboot’ and then connect your HTC Droid DNA to your computer via USB Cable.
- Get to the 2nd page of HTCdev web site and click the button that says ‘Proceed to step 5′. Now you shouldn’t follow the steps listed there and instead you should get to the next step.
- Go to the ‘Fastboot’ folder that you created at step 1, open it.
- You will have to run a Command Prompt right here. Do it by pressing ‘SHIFT’ and while you holding it you need to right-click on the wipe space of the folder. Select ‘open command window here’ from the context menu.
- When the Command Prompt window loads you should enter the following command line:
- fastboot devices – This will show the HTC Droid DNA device ID. IN case this doesn’t appear then you will have to re-install the HTC Sync Software files, which can be found in the preparation guide.
- Next, you have to get to the 3rd page of HTCdev web site which means that you have to click on ‘Proceed to Step 8′ button.
- Now you will have to follow all the instructions listed by HTCdev and when you’ve managed to do that simply click on ‘Submit’. If everything went according to plan, you will get an alert saying ‘Token Submitted Successfully’ on the next web page. An e-mail containing the ‘unlock key’ attached file has been sent for you.
- Open that e-mail message and download the file called ‘Unlock_code.bin’ attached file. Save the file in the ‘fastboot’ folder; the one created at step 1.
- Now you will have to open the link that is listed in the e-mail.
- Use Fastboot and the Command Prompt window to flash ‘Unlock_code.bin’ file to your phone:
- fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin – enter this command line.
- the HTC Droid DNA will get a request for ‘Unlock bootloader’ and you have to press the ‘Volume Up’ and Power to confirm this action.
- Now your smartphone will restart and a ‘factory reset’ process has been started. When that’s complete, your phone will boot normally and it will have its bootloader state set to UNLOCK. That’s it!
These were all the steps that you had to take and now you’re free to root your phone and install custom recovery, custom ROMs and any other modification file that you think that will improve the performance of your phone.
If you want to check that your HTC Droid DNA Verizon has the bootloader unlocked, then you should use the steps below:
- Power off the phone.
- Boot into Bootloader mode using the ‘Volume down’ and ‘Power’ buttons at the same time.
- You should notice that the ‘UNLOCKED’ text is shown on your phone’s screen.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash all files and make sure that you’ve unlocked the bootloader of your Verizon HTC DROID DNA. If you have any extra questions or any other concerns, then you should leave a detailed comment at the end of this article.
UPDATE: The guys at XDA are saying that the bootrom is no longer unlockable, and this means that this guide will not work with your Droid DNA phablet. Knowing the XDA developing community, we should get a new bootloader unlocking guide in not time, which is why you should keep an eye on our website .