How to Unlock the HTC One X Bootloader
The HTC One X is a really interesting and appealing smartphone, which comes with high end specs and features, but in order to really enjoy its capabilities you must first unlock its system; and the best way in which you can do that is by learning how to unlock its bootloader. It will not be an easy operation, but if you will do exactly as explained during this step by step guide there shouldn’t be any kinds of problems on our way.
But first, you should know what a bootloader really is. Known also as bootstrap loader, this program is actual the tool that loads the operating system in the ROM or RAM memory each time you power on your handset. Let’s say that is similar with the one featured on your computer or notebook. But, as a carrier restriction, when you buy a phone it will be delivered with a locked bootloader. You can get an unlocked device only if you buy it straight from Google but this isn’t happening too often.
So, for having access to your One X internal system, or for gaining more control over the OS you have to learn how to unlock its bootloader. Furthermore, this will be required when you will try to root the same, or when you will want to apply an unofficial OS update, or why not flash a custom recovery image or even a custom ROM into the system. There are many firmware available for the HTC One X, so you must complete this before updating its Android software.
There is an official way provided by HTC for unlocking the bootloader (through a website), but it’s designed to be used by the developers and not by regular users. Anyway, we will use this website and we will unlock your One X bootloader. Be careful not to wreck your phone while doing this as the warranty will get void. Also, backup the personal info saved on your smartphone as it might get wiped out. You can safely backup the One X by following our previous tutorials:
- Download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore apps for Android.
- Sync contacts with Gmail account.
For succeeding you need to have access to a computer, to your handset and to its USB cord. Charge the battery, or make sure that there is enough power (minimum 60%). Enable the USB debugging in your handset. For completing this, just go to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. That being said you can now start unlocking the bootloader. Read carefully and don’t do it without following the steps.
How to Unlock the HTC One X Bootloader
- Download the drivers for your phone from here.
- Download fastboot from here.
- Place the files to your computer.
- Install the HTC Sync file from step 1.
- Unzip fastboot. In the folder that will be created you must have the following: adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll and fastboot.exe.
- On the computer open the browser and navigate through this address.
- Create an account.
- Login and open the “unlock bootloader” page.
- On the main page from the dropdown menu bar select “All Other Supported Models” and then tap on “begin”.
- Ignore the warning message and click “yes”.
- Accept the legal terms in order to proceed.
- Now, turn off the phone.
- Reboot in bootloader mode by holding the “Volume down” and “Power” buttons simultaneously.
- Select “fastboot” from the menu that opens.
- You can now connect the smartphone with the PC via its USB cord.
- Return to your browser and click on “Proceed to Step 5?.
- Go and open the fastboot folder and a command prompt window there. Click on “Shift” and “Right click” on any empty space from the folder and choose “open command window here”.
- Then type the command: “fastboot devices”. Hit enter; if there is nothing displayed it means that you have to reinstall the drivers from step 1.
- Go to the browser and click on “Proceed to Step 8”.
- Just follow the steps from the HTC page; do everything as it’s said. When done click on “Submit”.
- If everything went as it should an unlock key will be provided.
- Open the email received and copy the file named “Unlock_code.bin”. Place the same to the same folder as fastboot.
- Go to the command prompt window you opened before and type the command: “fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin”.
- On your One X, tap on “Yes” for approving the operation.
- The phone should reboot automatically.
Even though it might look like a difficult thing to do, unlocking the HTC One X bootloader is not that difficult. All you have to do is to follow the steps from above and the directions from the HTC web page. If you have questions about this topic share them with us along with other thoughts or opinions. Also, stay close for further guides.