This “how-to” guide contains all the info you need in order to unlock the Xperia Z2 Bootloader.
If you decide to unlock your Xperia Z2 phone’s bootloader you will be able to flash new custom Recoveries, custom ROMs, boot images, kernels or apply any other custom changes.
The process of unlocking Xperia Z2 bootloader might not be something that a beginner to try, so you should be careful before starting the process.
Before getting to the tutorial you should know that all data stored on your phone will be removed in the process. This is a common thing for Android-based devices, every time their bootloader gets unlocked the entire storage is wiped.
Below you can find two different methods to unlock the bootloader: the first one uses the official Sony instructions, while the other one will require you to use the Flashtool utility. Whichever method you decide to use will void the warranty of your device.
The official method from SONY will require you to get an official Unlocking key using your IMEI number. The Flashtool method is somewhat easier than the official one from Sony. Choose whichever method suits you best and try to unlock the bootloader of your Xperia Z2.
If you want to backup some data from installed apps, SMS or any other similar files, then you can use Helium tool for Android. Also, make sure to sync your Contacts info with your default Gmail account before getting to the tutorial.
Do not skip any steps that I’ve listed in either guide, you should manage to complete the guide at your first attempt. If you have any other questions regarding the unlock bootloader process, then you should use the comments field at the end of the article.
Having said all of the above, you are now free to try the first method.
How to unlock Xperia Z2 Bootloader via Sony Official Website
First thing that you need to do is to get the unlock key from Sony. After you get the key you will need to use Fastboot mode and send several command lines to your phone.
Below you can find all the info you need in order to complete the process:
- Go to Sony Mobile UnlockBootloader page.
- Click the ‘Yes, I’m sure’ button and then continue to the next step.
- Confirm that you’re agreeing with the legal terms.
- The next page will ask for your name, the Xperia Z2 IMEI number and your personal e-mail address.
– the IMEI number is listed by dialing *#06# – dial the number and then enter the 15 IMEI digit code at Sony’s web page.
– the IMEI code can also be found in Settings> About Device > Status section and on its original box.
- After entering the correct info in step 4 you should check your E-mail account for new mail.
– the new mail from Sony should be named ‘Your requested unlock boot loader key’.
- Copy the Bootloader Unlock Key from Sony on a text file, save the document on your PC.
Now we will get to the next step and learn how to successfully use the Unlock Key and send command lines from your PC to your Xperia Z2 via Fastboot mode.
- Download the Fastboot zip file.
- Extract the contents of Fastboot zip and save them all in a folder on your desktop screen.
- Go to the newly created folder: press and hold Shift key, then right-click on the empty folder space. Select ‘open command prompt window here’ from the right-click context menu.
- Switch off the Xperia Z2.
- Next, boot the phone in Fastboot Mode: Plug the USB cable in your PC, power up the phone then press and hold Volume Up and at the same time plug the USB cable in your phone.
– the LED notification light will turn blue.
– if you can’t boot Fastboot Mode, then you can learn using this guide.
- Go back to the Command Prompt screen and enter the following line then press enter: fastboot.exe -i oxofce getvar version
- Next, enter the following command line, but don’t press Enter key: fastboot.exe -i oxofce oem unlock oxKEY
- Replace the “oxKEY” in the command line above with the Unlock Key Code you got from SONY.
– press ENTER.
- Now wait for the bootloader to be unlocked.
That is it, this is how you can unlock the Xperia Z2 bootloader using Sony’s official website and an unlock key.
If you want an easier method to use, then you should try the tutorial below.
The next guide teaches you how to successfully unlock the bootloader using a simple Flashtool app for your device.
Unlock Xperia Z2 Bootloader with Flashtool
- Download the Flashtool and then install it on your computer.
– get it from official Flashtool Download page.
- Launch the Flashtool program on your computer after the installation is complete.
- Click the ‘BLU’ icon in Flashtool.
- You will now be asked to connect the Xperia Z2 in Flashmode.
- Power off the phone.
- Connect the USB cable to your PC first, then press and hold Volume Down on your smartphone and connect it to your PC.
– Flashmode should be loaded and Flashtool will show the Device Selector screen.
- Select your Sony Xperia Z2 model from the list.
- Now Flashtool will display the ‘Bootloader Unlock Wizard’ screen.
- Click on the Unlock Button for the Bootloader Unlock process to begin.
- After the process is complete you will see the Flashtool log window. Check the log info and verify that the Bootloader Unlock process has been applied successfully.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to unlock the bootloader of your Sony Xperia Z2 smartphone.
If you have any other questions use the comments field below, but make sure to list detailed info of all the steps that you took, so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution for your problems.
In case the process fails at the first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire guide more than once. Remember that by unlocking the phone’s bootloader you will lose all the data that is stored on it without any chance of retrieving it.