How to Unlock the Xperia P Bootloader
The Sony Xperia P system can now be customized, optimized and unchained as we will be checking in how to unlock its bootloader. As you will see, this step by step guide will be similar with the one explained for the Xperia U, both phones being similar in specs and features. So, you will be in safe hands, not to mention that the method described here can be completed in just a couple of minutes and without requiring complex tools. In fact you will not have to use any kinds of programs, as unlocking the Xperia P bootloader can be achieved by using only a Windows running computer and the handset’s USB cord. Further explanations can be found below.
A bootloader can be seen like the small program that is loaded when you are powering on your computer or your notebook. All the smartphones and tablets are featuring such a program which in fact in loading the software and other tools required from the ROM memory into the RAM one. If the bootloader isn’t working, than you are not able to use your device at all. The worst part is that each time you get a smartphone it will be delivered with a locked bootloader. This is the main restriction added by the carrier, meaning that once you decide to unlock the Xperia P bootloader the warranty will be voided.
In order to restore the lost warranty you will have to apply the official firmware or update, or to re-lock the bootsrap loader. This can be done by following a suitable guide, which will be provided in the following days, so for more details related to this subject stay close and check our further step by step tutorials. Make sure you are not applying this method for similar Android powered devices as you can brick them. Also, read all the lines from here if you want to do things properly. That being told, let’s begin.
For being sure that anything bad can happen, it will be a god idea to backup the Xperia P data. Don’t worry; you don’t have to work too hard on achieving this. For completing a full and safe backup and also for learning how to restore the data, you can follow our previous tutorials. You have them mentioned in the list from below:
- Use a custom recovery image for backing up the system.
- Save the text messages or any kinds of messages by downloading proper backup tools for Android.
- The Call logs can be saved and restored by using proper apps.
- Sync with Gmail and use the cloud for saving contacts.
- Download APN Backup & Restore for Android and save Internet Settings.
Then, for being able to use the PC with your phone you must disable the security settings and programs (Firewall, antivirus) from both. More, on the smartphone go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option. Do this only when the handset isn’t connected with the computer. Finally, your phone should have minimum 60% power left, if different charge it first.
Don’t forget that you must learn how to unlock the Xperia P bootloader if you want to update its system with Ice Cream Sandwich and since there is no official update released, you will have to get a beta firmware or a custom ROM. All these are requiring root access and a custom recovery image installed, operations which also need an unlocked bootloader. As you can see, this is the first step to do if you want to take full advantage of your phone, improve its performances, or just unchain it from the factory restrictions. Let’s see what you need to do in order to succeed.
How to Unlock the Xperia P Bootloader
- From your computer browser go to this page.
- Select “continue” from the bottom of the same.
- Agree with the prompt for proceeding.
- Connect the phone with the computer via USB cable.
- On the PC open command prompt (Start -> run -> cmd).
- Enter the command: “fastboot -i 0x0fce getvar version”.
- Write down the IMEI of your handset.
- On the bootloader online page enter the email address and your name along with the IMEI for the unlocking key.
- The code should be provided via email.
- On the command prompt window type:”fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0Xkey” and replace key with the code provided before.
- Up next, in order to end the process, follow the prompts provided from the Sony bootloader online page.
As promised, that was all: an easy to understand guide, without requiring any kinds of tools. The Sony Xperia P is having an unlocked bootloader, so now you can update its OS, install custom ROMs, or gain root access over its system. Share if something wasn’t working as planned or if you couldn’t complete the tutorial and I will try to resolve the issues. Also, stay close as we will bring a guide which will learn you how to re-lock the Xperia P bootloader for being able to restore the warranty.