The official Android 7.0 Nougat update is now live for the Samsung Galaxy A7 2017 unlocked models.
Check the info posted in this article in order to learn how to successfully update your smartphone without losing any data files.
The new official Nougat Update is being rolled out over-the-air for all Galaxy A7 2017 International models, but this will take a while before it reaches all users. So, if you are an advanced user, and you know your way around ODIN 3.12.3, then you can use the info below and the instructions in this post and learn how to manually complete the update.
Check the following guidelines before starting the flashing process:
- this tutorial has to be used only by advanced users and owners of 2017 Samsung Galaxy A7 devices.
– the model number of your device has to be the SM – A720F.
– check the version of your phone under Settings> About Device.
- don’t try to use this post for any other different users.
- download, then install on your PC the Samsung USB drivers from here.
- for the ODIN 3.12.3 to work with your PC you need to install the above usb drivers and to make sure that the USB Debugging is enabled from your phone’s Developer Options menu.
- Developer Options might be hidden, which is why you have to unhide that first: go to Settings> About Device> Software Info, and tap seven times on the Build Number text to unlock Developer Mode.
– return to Settings, open Developer Options and then enable USB Debugging.
- you can flash the new update firmware over rooted devices, but you need to know that root access won’t survive the update process.
– any custom Recovery that you might have flashed will be replaced with a stock Recovery.
- you can use the ODIN app to install the new update over a custom ROM, but you will also have to Factory Reset the device after the update is done installing.
The Factory Reset process wipes cleans the system partition, it forces the device to boot in normal mode with the new Android 7.0 Nougat firmware.
– the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
– factory resetting the phone will wipe clean its system partition, it removes the old custom ROM and it forces the device to boot in normal mode.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps.
- this guide has to be used by advanced users, we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post.
How to install Android 7.0 Nougat Update for Samsung Galaxy A7 2017:
- Download the Android 7.0 official update archive from here.
- When the download is completed you have to extract the archived contents.
Save the obtained files on your PC. You should get the A720FXXU2BQH3 tar.md5 firmware update file, don’t unzip this file.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
When the download is done you can extract the files.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode: press and hold Volume Down+ Home + Power buttons.
Release the buttons when the ‘warning’ screen loads on your device, then press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode boot.
- Open the ODIN app on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy A7 phone to your computer via usb cable.
Wait for ODIN to detected the device, and then continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not detected by the computer, then you will have to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers.
- Click the AP button in ODIN.
- Find and load in Odin the A720FXXU2BQH3 tar.md5 Android 7 update file.
- Press the START button in ODIN.
Don’t press anything else until the updating process is done.
- When installation is complete you will see the PASS alert, and the phone will reboot.
Unplug the phone from PC after the PASS message is shown by ODIN.
– note that the first boot process of Android 7.0 will take a while before it loads all the new files.
- Use your default login info in order to regain control over your device once again.
These were the steps that you had to follow in order to complete the Android 7.0 Nougat update for your smartphone.
If the FAIL alert is shown by ODIN, or any other error is displayed during installation, then you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that you won’t skip any steps and that your phone meets all requirements above.
If the PASS message is shown by ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop, or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you are forced to Factory Reset the phone.
The Factory Reset steps below should be applied in case you have installed the Android 7.0 update over a custom ROM, too.
Here’s how to Factory Reset your device:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot your smartphone in normal mode and you are done with this post.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments below.