Update 3G Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 to Official JB 4.2.2 XXCMH1 OS
Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS has been made available for the 3G version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet (which is model number N5100) so if you have a locked device you can anytime receive and flash the OTA XXCMH1 update. But in case you have a rooted handset the notification will not be displayed as on unchained systems the official updates can’t be OTA received. In that case a manual method will be required. Therefore, if you need (for any reasons not only for the mentioned one) to manually update your Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 to stock / official Jelly Bean 4.2.2 XXCMH1 firmware use the guidelines from below as the present tutorial will easily take you through the flashing operation.
This is the official Android 4.2.2 OS that has been released by Samsung for your 3G Galaxy Note 8.0 so you are not dealing with another custom ROM firmware. The best is that the official updates can be easily installed, even if we are talking about the manual methods. As you know, when trying to install a custom ROM there are complex and risky operations to complete, but that’s not applying on this guide. As you will see, you will be able to flash the stock JB 4.2.2 XXCMH1 on your Note 8.0 N5100 in just a few minutes.
As usual, when talking about Samsung and manual update operations Odin will be used. Odin is a complex tool that comes with great features which can be easily used when needed to apply official firmwares. The app is developed and also offered by Samsung, so you will be using an official program, not a custom one. That’s why, by performing this guide the warranty of your tablet will not get void. Furthermore, you will be able to restore the warranty, if it was previously voided, as you will install the official Android 4.2.2 XXCMH1 OS.
Due to same reasons, after completing this step by step guide, if your Note 8.0 is currently rooted, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. So, if your tablet has been overclocked, or installed with a custom ROM, now you will lose the root access, the overclock capability and all the others custom tweaks that has been performed on your device. Don’t worry, you will be able to re-do all the mentioned things but only by following guides that are suitable with the new XXCMH1 JB 4.2.2 system.
Therefore, your Galaxy Note 8.0 will be brought to its initial state, though the OS will be updated to latest Android version. Hopefully, somewhere in the near future the Android 4.3 firmware will also be rolled out for the 3G variant of the Note 8.0 N5100.
Good, now let’s see how to prepare your tablet for the flashing procedure that will follow. Do complete the next steps: a manual installation procedure implies in downloading the update file on a computer, so ensure to have access to a notebook or PC. Now, since Odin can be installed only on Windows, make sure that your computer is featuring the mentioned operating system. Then, as the firmware will be on your computer and you will want to flash the same on your Note 8.0, the handset and its USB cable will be required. So, you will have to connect the devices, which means that on your Note the USB debugging option must be enabled – go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the same. Finally applying the software will take a couple of minutes and you device should stay “alive” during the process – charge the battery of your Galaxy Note N5100 if there is less than 60% power left.
Also, remember to backup the data that is saved on the internal storage of your tablet. This operation is always recommended whether we are talking about official operations or custom ones. For example, if in the end your Note will get stuck in a boot loop you will have to wipe its system which means that you will lose all of your data and info. So, for avoiding situations like the already mentioned one save everything that’s important to you; only after that resume the steps from below.
How to Update 3G Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 to Official JB 4.2.2 XXCMH1 OS
- First thing to do: download the update file from here and save it on your computer.
- Unzip the firmware on desktop as you will need it afterwards.
- Up next, download unzip and install Odin on your computer.
- The Note 8.0 drivers must be installed on your notebook; if not use Samsung KIES and flash the drivers.
- Then, run Odin on your computer.
- Enter your tablet in download mode.
- The download mode can be reached by pressing on Power, Volume Down and Home buttons together.
- With the Note in download mode connect your handset with the computer – where Odin must be running.
- Establish the connection and then check the following: the “added” message should be displayed on Odin where the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue; if not try to resolve the issue by reflashing the drivers on the computer.
- Then, from Odin select the “pda” option.
- Next, you will be able to select the update file. So, pick the XXCMH1 OS from desktop.
- Click on “start” (don’t make any other changes on Odin – the re-partition and f. reset time options shouldn’t be checked).
- Wait until the update process stops.
- You will know when as the “pass” message will be displayed and the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Then you will be able to unplug the USB cable and reboot your device.
- Note: if your handset will get stuck in a boot loop, reboot in recovery – press and hold power, volume up and home buttons at the same time and for a few seconds – and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Then choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations; you have manually updated your 3G version of Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5100 to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware. For other guides suitable with your tablet check our “how to” section or use the comments area from below and talk with us. We will assist you with new tutorials and Android related tips and tricks as soon as possible.