The CyanogenMod team had recently released a new version of their custom ROM firmware, the new platform being based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. Of course, I am talking about CM10.2, a system which is currently available for numerous Android based smartphones and tablets, though not all the devices received the official release so far. The same can be applied if we talk about the Acer Iconia Tab A510, which can be now updated with an unofficial variant of the Nightly CM10.2 firmware. Anyway, the software is stable and will bring Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS to your Iconia Tab A510, so do complete the next guidelines and test Android 4.3 firmware on your own tablet.
CyanogenMod is the most used custom ROM that is available for the Android system, the firmware being extremely popular among worldwide users. The CM10.2 software is bringing important features, apps and capabilities that now can be easily installed on the Acer Iconia Tab A510. Usually, the other custom updates are based on the CyanogenMod platform meaning that most of the features included on the mentioned ROM will be ported to the other systems. So, why to get a ROM based on CM10.2 when you can install the actually Android 4.3 powered firmware?
Furthermore, we are dealing with the Nightly release of CM10.2, so there is room for improvements. Don’t worry though, as the ROM is stable and will smoothly run on your Tab A510. Of course, the CM team will update the present version of Android 4.3, so after completing this guide stay close for applying the future CM 10.2 improvements.
Do note that CM10.2 is based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, so this is not an official update released by Acer and Google for your Iconia Tab A510. Being a custom ROM, your tablet must be prepared first or else you will not be able to complete this tutorial. But the most important aspect is referring to the warranty of your device: by applying CM10.2 firmware the warranty will get void and I will explain you why in a minute. Now, let’s take care of the essential and general pre requisites.
- Gain root access on your Acer Iconia Tab A510. CM10.2 needs to access some files from the internal system so root access must be provided. The root operation is unofficial, so here is where (and why) the warranty will get void.
- After gaining root access install CWM recovery or any other custom recovery image on your tablet because the stock Android recovery can’t be used when flashing CM10.2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom ROM.
- Backup the data of your Iconia Tab A510. A wipe will be required or else you will not be able to run the JB 4.3 powered CM10.2 custom ROM. So, on your way you will have to wipe the system of your tablet which means that everything that’s on the internal storage memory will be wiped out.
- Use backup and restore tools from Google Play and use CWM recovery for saving the current ROM.
- Complete the up mentioned operations or else this guide will not work for you.
- After that, ensure that you can use a computer, your tablet and its USB cable.
- On both computer and handset there shouldn’t be installed any security tools; the antivirus, antimalware or any other security program might interfere with the update procedure. Therefore before going any further temporarily deactivate the security protection.
- Your tablet must have more than 60% power left before starting the guide from below. If different, charge your Iconia Tab first – if your device gets turned off while you are installing CM10.2, you risk in bricking your handset.
- USB debugging option must be enabled on your tablet because you need to connect the device with the computer; the mentioned option can be enabled from here: “settings -> applications -> development -> usb debugging”.
- Apply this step by step guide only for installing Android 4.3 Jelly Bean based CM10.2 custom ROM on the Acer Iconia Tab A510; this tutorial will work only for the mentioned Android based device.
How to Update Acer Iconia Tab A510 to Android 4.3 with CM10.2 Custom ROM firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the update file; you can get the package from here.
- Then, download Google apps package from here as the same is not included on the CM10.2 platform.
- Save both files on desktop without unzipping anything.
- Now, connect your tablet with the computer via USB cable.
- Copy both files from desktop and place them on your tablet’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your handset.
- Reboot in recovery mode – use a suitable guide for learning how to enter recovery mode on rooted / locked Android devices.
- From recovery the first thing to do is the wipe: so select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- And then select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM10.2 firmware file first and flash the same.
- Then, repeat the same procedure and pick Google Apps package; also install the same.
- In the end reboot your tablet as you are done.
- Take note: if your Iconia Tab A510 will get stuck in a boot loop, reboot in recovery once more and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” – that should resolve the issues.
Perfect, now you have updated your Acer Iconia Tab A510 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS. CM10.2 custom ROM firmware is running on your tablet so test the new software in order to see how the features, apps and capabilities perform. If there are bugs, or if you notice something wrong, share the results and your impressions with us and with other Android users who might want to use the up-explained tutorial by using the comments field from below. Also, stay close for further Android tutorials, news, reviews, tips and tricks.