Update Acer Iconia Tab A700 with CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 JB Custom ROM
If you want to improve the performances of your Acer Iconia Tab A700, now you can easily do so as CM10.1 custom ROM has been made available for your tablet. I know that most of you are expecting CM10.2 instead, for installing Android 4.3 on your device, but until a stable version of the platform will be made available, the present Android 4.2.2 JB update should do the trick. Therefore, if you want to safely install CM10.1 firmware on your Iconia Tab A700, use the present step by step guide.
The Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 platform is stable and works without bugs or issues on almost all the Android based devices out there. Well, the same can be applied when talking about the Acer Iconia Tab A700. The update will embrace your tablet along with important features and apps that will optimize the performances of your handset. Therefore, after completing this guide, your Iconia Tab A700 will run faster, will provide an upgraded battery life and will offer more power.
As you know, a custom ROM is unchaining the internal system of the Android devices by offering access to internal settings, in built programs, features and so on. So, with CM10.1 installed on your Acer Iconia Tab A700, you will be able to use your tablet without dealing with carrier restrictions or with any other security tools. In a few words, everything that’s installed on your device can be changed, customized and optimized.
As you can already tell, for being able to apply this ROM on your tablet, you will first have to gain root access. Be careful when doing so as root is also an unofficial operation that can brick your device. So, use suitable root guides that can be applied on your Iconia Tab. Then, return here and resume the rest of the guidelines.
After gaining root access, you need to install a custom recovery image as the stock one is useless when installing custom ROMs. I recommend you to flash CWM or TWRP recovery, these being the most used custom recovery for the Android system. The custom recovery image is essential for this guide, as by using the same CM10.1 will be flashed on your Acer Iconia Tab A700.
Another recommended operation is the backup procedure. You see, during the proper steps a wipe will be required. You need to reset the system of your device which means that all of your data that is saved on the internal storage memory will be wiped out. So, before doing anything else, try to perform a full backup. Do remember that CWM recovery is now running on your handset, so don’t hesitate and use the same for saving the current ROM too.
Other than that: a computer must be used as the firmware file must be downloaded on the same; also your tablet and its USB cable will be required; deactivate the antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection along with any other security protection that is running on your computer; go to “settings -> applications -> development” and enable the USB debugging option on your tablet; charge your device if there is less than 60% power left – else skip this line.
Your handset is now prepared for the installation procedure. Do remember though that this step by step guide is compatible only with the Acer Iconia Tab A700. So, use the next steps for flashing Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 custom ROM only if you own the mentioned tablet. Using this tutorial on a different device will probably brick your Android based smartphone / tablet.
How to Update Acer Iconia Tab A700 with CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 JB Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing to do when dealing with a custom update is to download the update file on the computer.
- So, download CM10.1 firmware from here; save the file on desktop without unzipping.
- Optional, download Google apps package from here because the update isn’t including Google Apps, so you need to flash the same separately.
- Good, now connect your Iconia Tab A700 with the computer.
- Use its USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Take the downloaded files from computer and place them to your handset’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your device.
- Learn how to reboot in recovery by using a suitable step by step guide.
- From recovery, as already mentioned, a wipe will have to be performed.
- Do the wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Now, return to main menu of recovery.
- Similar, select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM10.1 firmware file and flash the same on your Iconia Tab A700.
- Optional: repeat the process and apply Google apps package.
- Return to recovery once more.
- Select “reboot system now”.
- If the first boot will take longer than usual, you have nothing to worry about; there is nothing wrong with your tablet.
- But if your device will get stuck in a boot loop you will have to reboot in recovery once more; this time select only “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; reboot and you are done.
Good job, you have applied the step by step guide which means that now your Acer Iconia Tab A700 is running on custom Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS as CM10.1 custom ROM has been successfully installed. Stay close for further updates and step by step guides as CM10.2 Android 4.3 and other firmwares will be released for your tablet.