Amazon Kindle Fire received a new custom ROM of Jelly Bean Android 4.1 OS and now you can use the instructions that I have listed in this article to learn how to update it. This custom ROM is a tablet edition UI and it bring a smooth interface for your Kindle Fire device. Read all the info that I have posted in this article and you will manage to successfully install it on your device.
This Jelly Bean Android 4.1 custom ROM is great and it will replace the normal phone-like user interface with one that resembles an Android tablet UI. It brings new functions and features such as Google Now, butter, Google Now and other Jelly Bean based functions. This new Jelly Bean and Tablet UI edition for Kindle Fire comes with some bugs such as the HW codecs not working for video playback when using YouTube and Netflix. The Youtube videos will work only if you disable the HD video.
Now that you’ve read all of the above general info, you should move to the preparation guide and learn how to correctly configure your Kindle Fire device so that you’ll manage to flash this custom Tablet UI Jelly Bean ROM without too much trouble. Here’s what you need to know:
- install this custom ROM only on the Amazon Kindle Fire device. Do not attempt to flash the files on other devices as it won’t work.
- Charge the battery of your device and this will prevent it from powering off during the updating process.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your phone’s settings menu.
- For you to install successfully the Jelly Bean Tablet UI custom ROM you will need to use TWRP Recovery mode. If your device doesn’t have this installed then you should use this guide HERE to learn how to apply root and TWRP Recovery image for your Kindle Fire.
- This guide is destined to be used by advanced users and you should create a full backup of your device’s stored files, as you won’t like for those files to be lost during the update process.
- Move the files you wish to salvage on your device’s SD card, as this part won’t be deleted by the Jelly Bean update.
Now that you know all of the above, I think that you should move to the tutorial guide. Apply all the steps I’ve listed and do not even think about skipping any important step as that will result in a failed attempt to install the Jelly Bean Tablet UI custom ROM on your device.
Install Jelly Bean Tablet Edition UI custom ROM on Amazon Kindle Fire
- Download the custom ROM zip file from here. Save it on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Download the GApps zip file from HERE. This one will install the Google Play Store, Gmail, Gtalk and other Google based apps that you need to use with your Kindle Fire.
- Move both file downloaded at steps 1 and 2 on your device’s SD card. After the file transfer is complete you should power off the Kindle Fire and boot it into TWRP Recovery.
- Boot the TWRP Recovery mode by pressing ‘Power’ and when a triangle appears you should press once again ‘Power’. This will boot the TWRP Recovery menu.
- When the recovery mode has been loaded you should create a full backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your Kindle Fire device. Return to the main recovery menu when you’re done.
- Next, click Wipe and then choose ‘Factory reset’ to delete all the data. This step erases all the installed apps and data except for the content stored on your device’s SDcard.
- From the TWRP Recovery main menu select ‘install’ and then find the ROM zip file that you copied at step 3 and install the Tablet Edition UI of Jelly Bean file.
- Repeat step 7, except this time you should install the Gapps zip file instead of installing the ROM again. After both these files have been flashed you should select ‘reboot system’.
- Your Kindle Fire should restart normally and boot the new Android 4.1.1 Tablet Edition UI ROM. The first boot will take at least ten minutes to complete and you should wait until this completes. If the first boot takes too long then something went wrong and you are forced to repeat the entire process.
If everything went according to plan then you should start testing the new custom ROM and enter your Google credentials to gain control over all Jelly Bean features. In case you have any extra questions please use the comments section.