Amazon Kindle Fire users that have managed to root their devices are now able to change the ROM and install a custom one that is CyanogenMod 9 based. All the instructions you need to follow are listed in this post and you have to make sure to read all of them and then you will learn how to properly flash a brand new custom ROM on your device.
Kindle Fire is great and with the Simple CM9 custom ROM you will improve its performances and make it run even faster than before.With the new ROM you will get new features and functions. The developers of Simple CM9 managed to remove all the unnecessary files, bloat etc. The creator of this new ROM is Hyperrunner, and XDA member. He managed to remove all bloat ware files in order to improve the overall speed of your device as well as improving the battery life.
All major Android functions are fully working. The only bug found by the developers is the fact that you cannot charge the device via AC Power, which means that you will only be able to charge the Kindle Fire’s battery using only the USB cable. However, this problem should be fixed with future releases and if you still want to continue installing the Simple CM9 ROM then you should first read the preparation guide and only afterwards you should move to the ‘how-to’ guide. Here’s what you need to know before moving to the tutorial:
- The Amazon Kindle Fire you are about to update should be rooted and TWRP Recovery image has to be installed. If yours isn’t, then you should follow the steps listed in this Kindle Fire root guide.
- Backup all the data currently stored on your ebook reader.
- Charge the Kindle Fire battery until it reaches over 70% power levels.
- This guide works exclusively with Amazon Kindle Fire device. Do not attempt to flash Simple CM9 ROM on any other tablet or phone.
This tutorial should be applied only by advanced Android users, and if you’re a beginner, then you should ask for help from one of your more tech-savvy friends. You are changing the ROM of your device only at your own risk, which means that you cannot held us responsible in case you damage the Kindle Fire. Make sure to read all the steps I’ve listed and for any extra questions, use the comments section and we will help you complete the Simple CM9 custom ROM installation on your device.
How to update Amazon Kindle Fire to Simple CM9 custom ROM:
- Download the custom ROM zip file from here. Do not extract its contents.
- Connect your Kindle Fire to your compute and move the ROM zip on your device’s internal sdcard.
- Power off the device and disconnect it from your computer.
- Boot into TWRP Recovery. It can be done only if you have this custom Recovery image installed. TWRP recovery can be entered only if your press and hold the Power button until the yellow triangle appears on your device’s screen. Now, press again Power to boot into TWRP Recovery main screen.
- When the recovery menu is showed you will have wipe all data first. Select ‘Factory Reset’ and confirm that you wish to remove all data.
- Next, return to the main custom recovery screen select Install.
- Find the Simple CM9 zip to install.
- Confirm that you wish to flash it and then wait until the process is complete.
- Now, select Go Back and then Reboot System.
- Your Kindle Fire will now perform its first boot with the new Simple CM9 custom ROM firmware.
- After the tablet restarts you will have to launch Google Play Store or the Gmail app and enter your credentials to log into your own Google account. Please note that the Google setup wizard won’t be displayed.
That’s it, now you’ve successfully applied the new CM9 custom ROM right on your Kindle Fire device. If the installation process didn’t complete then you should repeat the entire tutorial because you might’ve skipped some steps and that might be reason why the Simple CM9 wasn’t successfully installed.
For any additional questions you should use the Comments section and I will try to help you install the custom ROM on your Amazon Kindle Fire.