How to Update Motorola Droid 3 to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Even though nothing is official yet, an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS update is available for the Motorola Droid 3 users. So, during this step by step guide I will show you the easiest and also safest way in which you can learn how to install this update by using the ICS 5.7.905 Android 4.0 Firmware.
Also, during the following lines, I have explained and detailed the main features which will be added by this new version of the Android operating system, so you can make a proper idea about the process you are about to complete. In order to get the best ICS experience on your Motorola Droid 3, you have to read all the explanations from this tutorial and do all as explained during the steps.
As already stated, the release of this update has nothing to do with Motorola; furthermore, there are no words about the possible official launch of the firmware for your Droid 3. Therefore, if you want the Android 4.0 running on your handset, then you must take it from this how to-guide.
The list from below is showing the features and improvements which will be added once the installation process will be over. Take a look and see if it’s satisfying enough for you.
Before we begin the proper procedure, there are a few things you need to know. First of all, the Ice cream Sandwich can be installed only on a rooted Droid 3 handset. So, make sure you complete that and then return here. Unfortunately, the rooting operation will make you void the Motorola warranty, so be careful.
Now, you must prepare your phone along with the computer you will use (in order to avoid the unpleasant situations); follow:
- The update will probably wipe the data out from your phone. I know that the personal data are very important for you, so that’s why I recommend you to backup the Droid 3 data, contacts, messages, apps and everything else. I suggest to use the SMS Backup + by Jan Berkel app for saving the SMS / MMS messages, the android cloud for the contacts and calendar, the Astro File Manager for the Market apps and the SD card, or the PC for any other data stored on your device. The tools can be downloaded from the Android Market.
- Make sure you have enough battery life left (more than 60%).
- You must enable the USB debugging. For completing that, go to “Settings” -> “Applications” -> “Development” -> “USB debugging”. You can enable the USB debugging only if you disconnect the phone from the computer.
- Uninstall all the security programs (antivirus) from the PC and from the Droid 3, because these tools might interrupt the process.
Now, you can finally start updating the Motorola Droid 3 with ICS 5.7.905 Android 4.0 Firmware. Follow the steps and that’s all.
- First of all, download Bloated (some apps are removed) or De Bloated (recommended – all the apps will remain intact) Firmware Package on the PC.
- Copy the files you just downloaded from the computer on your Droid 3.
- Disconnect the handset from the PC by removing the USB cord.
- Make sure you enable USB Debugging, as showed above.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot it into recovery mode. This can be completed by holding down simultaneously the volume “Down key” and the “Power” button.
- On this menu, choose “Clear Storage”. This option will erase all the cache data which is there in the phone.
- Select “install zip from SD Card” and then “Choose zip from SD Card”. Look for the file (the one you downloaded in the first step) and just pick it.
- The update operation will take somewhere around 10 minutes. In the end, the phone will reboot automatically.
- Select “+++Go Back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Done, the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is now installed on your Motorola Droid 3.
If you encounter any kinds of problems during the tutorial, or if you can’t understand one of my explanations, share the issues with us –in the comments area- so we can help you through.