Update Asus Transformer TF 101 with the Official ICS Android 4.0 Firmware
Great news guys, as Asus just released the official Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 firmware for its Transformer TF 101 tablet. This OS update has been announced by Asus from a while and we were really wondering when it will be finally pushed on the market, considering that the ICS is out and already running on numerous devices.
But, our wait is over, the latest version of the Android platform being now available for download. During the course of this tutorial you can learn how to update your Asus Transformer TF 101 with the official ICS Android 4.0 firmware, all being explained and detailed in a few easy to follow steps.
The procedure is 100% safe for your device and it should take only a couple of minutes completing it; you will be back on track in the shortest time possible. Make sure you read all the lines from the present guide, just for avoiding the unpleasant situations. I have explained everything so everyone can understand what tools to use and how to apply the upgrade on their Android based tablet.
The Asus Transformer TF 101 is available on the market since last year and its specs are decent to high end. The tablet is having a dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9 processor, 1 GB RAM, a 5 MP rear facing camera along with a 1.3 MP front facing one and the Android 3.0 on board. Since its initial release, Asus announced that the OS will be upgradable to the 4.0 version as soon as ICS will be launched; and it seems that the company is keeping its promise.
Once the ICS is running on your Transformer TF 101, you will see that the performances are improved. Your table will gain speed, the battery life will be upgraded and the looks will be optimized and opened for changes. Also, there will be added extra features and capabilities into the system, all for improving the Asus experience.
The best part is that this ICS Android 4.0 firmware, which is dubbed as V188.8.131.52, is coming from Asus, being the official update and not some beta version of the operating system. Furthermore, this means that installing the software will not make you void the warranty, so you have nothing to worry about. Also, you don’t need to have a rooted TF 101 in order to complete the update operation.
For succeeding, you need to have access to a Windows / Linux / MAC running computer, to the tablet and to its USB cord. Then, on the PC and on the device make the following preparations tasks:
- Installing the ICS firmware might put the data stored on the Transformer TF 101 in danger. As you can tell, you can lose your personal info and I know you don’t what that to happen. So, perform a backup procedure. This can be made by using some tools from Google Play, or by following one of our how to guides: download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- Deactivate the security programs located on the PC and on the tablet. These tools can interfere with our work by interrupting the procedure.
- Enable the USB debugging in your tablet. “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging”. Disconnect the device from the PC first.
- There should be enough battery power left. If lower than 60% go and charge it and then return here.
Now, as you might know, there are three kinds of updates which are “Worldwide”, “US Specific” and for “TW users”. I have explained the basic procedure for all of them, so choose the one that suits you. Read carefully and do all as explained below. You can now precede to the next section of this tutorial, the one that interest you the most:
How to update Asus Transformer TF 101 with official ICS Android 4.0 V184.108.40.206 Firmware
- The first thing to do is to check the current firmware in your Asus Eee Pad transformer TF 101. Foar achieving this go to “Settings -> About Tablet -> Build Number”.
- Then download the Transformer TF101 Firmware V220.127.116.11 Only for US SKU and Update version of SOP (From “Manual” Item).
- In case the build number is “WW_epad-9.X.X.X_2012xxxx” then you need to download the ICS OS update from one of the below links (corresponding to your area) and place it to the computer.
- Then, you only have to follow the prompts which will guide you through the whole procedure and that’s should be all.
- Download for US users from here.
- Download for Worldwide users from here.
- Download for TW users from here.
So, as you can see there wasn’t much to do in order to update the Asus Transformer TF 101 with the Official ICS Android 4.0 Firmware. The procedure was easy, so there shouldn’t be any kinds of issues. Anyway, share the possible problems with us (use the comments area for this).