The same guy, Xplodwild from XDA, that managed to both, root and install CWM recovery on the Asus Transformer, managed also to create a working custom CM9 ROM for the TF300T tablet computer. This guide will help you update your tablet to Android 4.0.4 ICS based on CyanogenMod 9 firmware.
The cyanogenmod team has the CM9 firmware currently in the first stage of development and the are numerous users that are using that software to make it work with other Android device like the Asus Transformer TF300T. This new custom ROM should improve the overall performances of your device.
Android 4.0.4 ICS CM9 firmware comes with several bugs, like the fact that the camera app is currently a no-go and the MTP is buggy and this means that you cannot move files from the tablet to your PC, but only from the PC and on the tablet. All these bugs should be fixed with future releases and you should return to our website as we will try to gather the best custom ROM firmware versions for Asus Transformer TF300T.
Before starting to apply the new changes for your device, you will need to learn how to properly prepare it for the installation of CM9 custom ROM Firmware so that it will complete without problems. Also, this guide should be applied by skilled Android owners as you will need to use CWM Recovery and other tools that could pose a problem for beginners. Here’s what you need to do before applying CM9 ROM on your TF300T tablet:
- because you will be forced to perform a data wipe it means that you will be needing to backup your important applications. AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps is the text-based application that does exactly what you ask from it.
- all other important files such as videos, audios, photos and other files you think you’ll need after the update should be place on your device’s internal sdcard. That will be the only part that will stay unchanged.
- enable the USB debugging mode.
- Save the APN and MMS Settings so that in case the Internet won’t work after the installation of the CM9 ROM, you will be able to restore the correct values.
- your device has to be rooted and the CWM recovery should be installed on it. If yours isn’t meeting these two requirements then you should follow the instructions listed in the following guides: How to root ASUS Transformer TF300T device | How to install CWM Recovery on TF300T tablet.
- it is recommended that you perform a full backup before applying all these changes. It can be done with CWM Recovery or with other similar software specially developed for Android devices.
- now that you’ve read all of the above you need to make sure that your tablet’s battery is fully charged.
Make sure to ask for help in comments if you find some steps that you don’t understand or you find the instructions to be too hard to follow. Also, remember that this guide is destined for Android users that have an advanced level of knowledge when it comes to rooting, flashing firmware.
Please note that we cannot be held responsible if you brick the device or something else goes wrong. All the changes listed here should only server as a guidance for you in installing custom ROM firmware on your tablet device and you are the sole responsible if it stops working during the process. Use the comments section to post all your extra questions.
How to update ASUS Transformer TF300T with CM9 Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM:
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC desktop.
- Now download the Google Apps zip file from here. This had to be flashed after the CM9 update and it will install Gmail, Gtalk, Google Drive, Play Store and all other important Google applications that you need to use in order to correctly manage your tablet computer.
- Move both zip files downloaded at step 1 and 2 on your tablet’s internal sdcard.
- Power OFF your device now.
- Boot into CWM Recovery. It can be done by pressing and holding simultaneously ‘volume down’ and ‘power’ buttons until an on-display notification appears. It should say something like this: ‘press volume up to enter RCK (5s)’. Do exactly what it says and boot to load cwm recovery.
- When you’re in recovery mode you should first select the ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm its actions and when it’s complete you will need to move to the next step.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip package you moved on the internal sdcard at step 3 and then confirm the installation process.
- When the ROM has been successfully installed you will need to repeat the first part of step 7 and after that select the to install the ‘gapps’ zip package. Confirm the installation of Google Applications.
- Now, return to the main recovery screen and after that you will have to select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for your TF300T tablet to perform its first boot with the CyanogenMod9 Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM firmware.
That should do it, now you’re device has been successfully update with CM9 ROM. Those of you who don’t like how their device’s working then you should restore the backup you’ve learned about in the preparation guide.
Please note that in case your device isn’t capable of going past the first boot then it means that you’re forced to repeat the entire process and now you should make sure to apply all steps in the tutorial guide especially the data wiping step 6. Use the comments sections to ask for help.
Also, if you have any extra tips and tricks regarding Asus Transformer TF300T, CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS or for any other Android related devices then please feel free to let us know.