The Android 4.1.2 version has been spotted already, though official updates are still being expected by many Android users who are being eager to test the new OS version on their own gadgets. Fortunately for us, there are more and more custom ROMs offered that comes with the mentioned version of the Google OS, so all you need to do is to get and flash a suitable firmware for your device. Therefore, today, I will show you how to update the Asus Transformer TF700 tablet with the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 based CM10 custom ROM firmware.
Of course this is not the official variant of CM10, but thanks to those of xda-developers who had developed the present software, you can enjoy the latest Android platform on your own Transformer tablet. Unfortunately, this means only one thing: there are some bugs into the system and things that aren’t working properly. Don’t worry, as the CM team and also those of xda-developers will bring further updates for resolving these problems and for providing a more stable variant of the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 CM10 ROM for your Transformer TF700 device. Until then, this is all we got for you; take a look below and see if this is satisfying enough for you. If not, you should wait until a new OS improvement comes out.
CyanogenMod is one of the most popular custom ROM available for the Android system, as the software brings extra features and capabilities that can easily power up the performances of you smartphone, or tablet. Now, CM10 is being based on the Android 4.1 OS (and recently on the 4.1.2 version) so the same will be installed on your Asus Transformer TF700. According to our sources, the Wifi, Bluetooth, audio, camera, HDMI Out and portrait mode are working perfectly at this version of CM10, while there are problems with the static wallpaper, with the front camera and with the GPS. These are the main bugs related to the present update, so think twice before heading to the steps from below.
For being sure that your Asus Transformer TF700 can be updated with the CM10 ROM, you should first take care of the preparation things. Completing the pre requisites is extremely important especially if you want to keep your tablet in safe hands and if you want to perform the easiest installation method possible. So, first of all, root the Transformer. By rooting the warranty will get void, so if you feel uncomfortable about this aspect, maybe it will be better to stop here. For the future, if you will need the warranty back, all you have to do is to downgrade to the stock ROM, or to apply an official update on your device. After gaining root access, you must download and install a custom recovery image. CM10 will be flashed on your Asus TF700 tablet by using this tool.
Up next, you need to backup the text messages, the market apps, the internet settings, the contacts and everything else you need to from your Asus tablet. For easing your work I recommend you to use our backup and restore tutorials. You can easily search for the same and use the directions from there.
Then, after taking care of your personal info you must also ensure that you can use a Windows running computer and that you have the tablet USB cord near you. On your Transformer there shouldn’t be any antivirus or security programs installed and the device should be charged or else it might get turned off in the middle of the update procedure. Furthermore, install the required drivers on your computer and enable the USB debugging option on your handset. Don’t forget to root and to install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your Asus Transformer TF700 or else the CM10 custom ROM will not work.
Finally, make sure that you are applying the below steps only for the mentioned tablet and not on similar ones as you can end up in bricking the same. Read all carefully, follow my directions and try not to mess things up.
How to Update Asus Transformer TF700 with Jelly Bean 4.1.2 CM10 Custom ROM
- First you must download the update file from here and the Google Apps package from here.
- The Google Apps are not included into the CM10 system, so you will have to flash them afterwards (you will see how below).
- Save these files on your computer.
- Then, use the USB cord and connect the tablet with the PC.
- Copy and then paste the same from your computer to your device.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off the tablet.
- Reboot in recovery.
- For entering in recovery mode, you must press and hold the Volume Down button while pressing on the Power one until you see the message “Press Volume Up to enter RCK (5s)”.
- At this time press the Volume Down button for selecting the USB icon and then press the Volume Up key to confirm.
- From recovery mode you should start by selecting “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, you should select from the same menu “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Next, pick the update file first and flash the same. Redo this step for flashing the Google Apps package once the CM10 update has been installed.
- When the flashing operation is over, just select “+++go back+++” and end the guide with “reboot system now”.
Congratulations you are done as the Asus Transformer TF700 has been successfully installed and updated with the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based CM10 custom ROM firmware. If you had encounter issues or if something is unclear with one of the steps from above, feel free and share your problems with us (use the comments area); we will try to assist you with suitable solutions. That’s all for today, but stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips and tricks.