If you want to receive the latest features and apps that are being available you should update your Motorola Atrix HD to the latest version of the Android OS, the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware. But, what to do when there isn’t an official update available for your phone? Well, you must learn how to flash a custom ROM firmware. Therefore, by using this step by step guide you will be able to learn how to update your Atrix HD to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean software by installing the CM10.1 custom ROM.
This version of the CM10.1 ROM is not the official one so this update is not supported by the CM team. The firmware has been developed and offered for the Motorola Atrix HD by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this tutorial. Also, it should be clear for you that this is not an official release of the Android Jelly Bean system, so the CM10.1 firmware has nothing to do with Motorola; this is just a free aftermarket distribution of the Android OS that will update your Atrix HD with an unofficial version of the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 software.
Even though we are not dealing with the official CM10.1 ROM, the platform is stable and without bugs or issues therefore your Atrix HD will be running on a smooth Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM. As usual, CM10.1 is coming with the latest features and apps (stock and extra ones) along with many other capabilities that will power up the performances and the Android experience that runs on your smartphone. Also, by flashing the ROM you will be able to customize and optimize the looks of your phone, though the default Jelly Bean touch will be replaced by a new and custom one.
If you have decided to apply this tutorial, then you should start the same by completing the pre requisites. Without preparing your phone you will not be able to install the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based CM10.1 ROM on your Motorola Atrix HD and worst you can even end up in bricking your device while trying to update its system. So, before heading to the flashing procedure complete the lines explained during the list from below.
- Unlock the bootloader of your phone and also root your Atrix HD. Else you will not be able to flash the CM10.1 ROM because the firmware will have to access some internal files and programs and the access can be granted only if you unlock the bootloader and root your handset.
- The warranty will get void as soon as you start to root the device.
- You can restore the warranty by downgrading to stock OS, by un-rooting the system or by updating with an official release of the Jelly Bean software.
- After gaining root access you will not be able to receive and install OTA updates on your Atrix HD; the stock updates can be flashed only manually on an unchained smartphone.
- A custom recovery image must be installed on your phone as the stock recovery can’t be used on the update operation; so before going any further learn how to flash Safestrap Recovery on Motorola Atrix HD.
- Also, before starting the update procedure it will be a good idea to backup the data which is being saved on the internal storage memory of your device. A wipe will be required so all of your personal info will be erased.
- It is recommended to use the recovery image for making a Nandroid backup too, because in this way you can save, and when needed, restore the current ROM.
- A computer, your smartphone and its USB cable will have to be near you as you will need to access and use the same.
- On both computer and phone there shouldn’t be any security tools installed because these programs are usually interfering with the flashing operation.
- Your Atrix HD must be charged, or at least ensure that there is more than 50% power left; you don’t want to see how your phone is getting turned off while you are trying to install the CM10.1 ROM into its system.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your handset.
- This step by step guide should be completed only by those who have the Motorola Atrix HD; using the method for a similar phone will probably brick the same so be careful in what you are applying.
How to Update Motorola Atrix HD to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with CM10.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here and save the CM10.1 ROM on your computer first.
- Then, connect your Atrix HD with the computer by using its USB cord.
- Select the downloaded file from your PC and drag and drop, or copy-paste it to your phone.
- You can unplug the USB cable now.
- Turn off your handset and reboot into recovery mode.
- By using the recovery mode you will have to wipe the system (remember to backup the data first).
- Select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to the recovery menu and by using the same select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and flash it on your device.
- Finally, in the end you will have to select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If you will get stuck in a boot loop, reboot into recovery again and this time select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; everything should be working well now.
Your Motorola Atrix HD has been updated with the CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. If you have encountered problems while flashing the software or if you have noticed that there are bugs in the system, use the comments area from below and share the issues with us. Remember that this is not the official release of the CM10.1 OS, but soon a new variant, an improved one, of the platform will be made available for us.