If you thought that only the international version of the Galaxy Note 2 is receiving the most important and powerful custom ROMs, then you should know that now, the AT&T Note 2 is ready to receive the official CM10.1 firmware, the same being released by the CyanogenMod team. So, today we will be checking on how to install the nightlie built of CM10.1 on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I317 and update the phablet to Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom OS. You have a detailed step by step guide explained below, so for further info check the same.
Being the official release of CM10.1, the ROM will be coming with the latest features and apps available on the CM platform. Also, by flashing this firmware you can be sure that you are updating your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 with a stable software that has no bugs or issues. Furthermore, the CM10.1 system is being based on the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS, so the same will be installed on your phablet; of course you will not get the default Jelly Bean platform as CyanogenMod will bring its own user interface, features, apps and so on.
CM10.1 is a free aftermarket distribution of the Jelly Bean 4.2.x OS and can be easily installed on your device as soon as some aspects are being checked. I am talking about the essential pre requisites, which I have also mentioned during the following list. Therefore, before doing anything else, make sure that the next tasks are being completed; else you will not be able to update your Galaxy Note 2 to official CM10.1 Nightlies Jelly Bean 4.2.1 custom ROM. You can then safely head to the proper steps that will take you through the installation procedure.
- You must have a rooted Note 2 I317; if not go and root it by using a guide that can be applied for the AT&T version of the phablet. Without rooting you will not be able to update your device.
- Install a custom recovery image (CWM recovery preferable) on your smartphone; be aware as the custom recovery is not the same with the stock recovery. Furthermore a custom recovery is a complex app that can be installed only on rooted devices.
- Backup the Galaxy Note 2 data. If you choose to flash the CM10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM by using this method, a wipe must be performed (by using the custom recovery image) which means that all of your data, personal info and saves will be erased. On your way, don’t forget to make a Nandroid backup and also to save the EFS folder.
- Updating the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 with a custom ROM firmware (in our case with official CM10.1 Nightlies built) will make you lose the warranty.
- You will be able to restore the lost warranty but you will have to downgrade to stock ROM; this means that the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
So, that’s how you prepare your phablet for the update operation. Furthermore you do have to ensure that a computer or notebook with internet connection enabled can be used as well as for your Note 2 and its USB cable. Then, for avoiding the unpleasant situations it is recommended to deactivate or even uninstall the antivirus, Firewall or any other security program that is installed on both computer and handset. It will be a good idea to check the battery status of your Note 2: if you notice that there is less than 60% power left you should charge your device (else it will get turned off and it might get bricked). Also, the USB debugging option must be enabled before starting the update operation.
With that being said, you are done with the preparation tasks. Therefore, you can safely begin to update your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note with CM10.1 custom ROM. Do remember though that this tutorial will work only for the AT&T version of the phablet which has the I317 model number; completing the next steps for a similar or different handset will brick your Android powered device.
How to Update AT&T Galaxy Note 2 with Official CM10.1 Nightlies Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the CM10.1 file from here.
- Download Google Apps package from here.
- Save the files on your computer first.
- Then copy-paste them or just drag and drop the same on your phablet (use the USB cable for connecting the devices).
- Up next turn off the handset as you must enter it into recovery mode.
- Once the recovery mode menu is being displayed, use the same and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- The wipe will now be applied. When done, select “+++go back+++” and return to the main menu.
- Now, by using the recovery mode menu select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- First take the CM10.1 file and start the flashing process.
- When done, re-do the procedure and install the Google Apps package.
- Don’t make any other changes on recovery mode; just wait for the flashing operation to end.
- Finally, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Take note as if in the end you will get a boot loop a wipe of the system must be applied once more. For that, reboot into recovery and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Also, by using the recovery menu you can also choose to restore the stock ROM if a NAndroid backup has been previously made.
Congratulations you have updated your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 custom ROM firmware. This is the official and nightlie built version of the software so there shouldn’t be any bugs or issues included in the system. Anyway, do test the new firmware and share your impressions and thoughts with us by using the comments area from below.