Update AT&T Galaxy Note I717 with Eclipse 2.0 Custom ROM Firmware
If you own the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717 you might have noticed that there aren’t many possibilities for you to update your phablet with a custom ROM firmware, as most of the ROMs are being suitable with the Galaxy Note N7000 device. That’s why you should consider flashing the Eclipse v2.0 firmware on your Note I717 and update the same to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. Of course this is a custom platform that will optimize your handset therefore you will not get the classic (pure) Android experience, though many extra features will be installed on your smartphone.
Now, if you want to read more about the Jelly Bean based Eclipse ROM you should check our source page as there you have all the info needed (such as features list, capabilities added and more); the proper link is below. Then, if you want to complete this step by step guide, you must first start with the pre requisites. It is extremely important to prepare your Galaxy Note for the update operation that will follow, so take your time and perform the tasks that are being listed below. Else, you can end up in bricking your device.
- As usual a complex operation must begin with a backup; the same will be applied here as a full wipe will have to be performed if you want to install the Jelly Bean based Eclipse 2.0 software on your AT&T Galaxy Note. Therefore, backup the messages, call logs, internet settings, EFS, contacts and everything else you need to before going any further.
- Also, it is recommended to make a Nandroid backup if that’s possible (you must use a custom recovery image for completing this task).
- Then, once your data is in safe hands, root the Galaxy Note. We are dealing with a custom ROM firmware and the same can be updated only if the root access is granted.
- By rooting we understand that the warranty will get void. That’s a normal thing to happen when it comes to root operation, so you have nothing to worry about.
- You can reset the flash counter (which means that the warranty will be back) if you decide to downgrade to the stock firmware or if you update your Galaxy Note I717 with an official software released by Samsung.
- Download and install a custom recovery image on your phablet. This is a custom tool that can be flashed only on a rooted system, so complete the above step before applying this. The CWM recovery app will be used later, but it is essential for our work.
- On the computer you will use deactivate the antivirus (and then the Firewall) protection and uninstall the other security programs (the same must be performed for your smartphone).
- Enable the USB debugging setting on your device.
- If your Galaxy Note has less than 60% power left, you should first charge its battery; else it might get turned off during the flashing process which means that you will risk in bricking your handset.
- This operation (tutorial) must be completed only for the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy Note, model number I717. The Eclipse custom ROM will work only for the mentioned phablet and not for similar ones.
How to Update AT&T Galaxy Note I717 with Eclipse 2.0 Custom ROM Firmware
- On the first step you must download the update file (use the link from here) and the Google apps package (use the link from here).
- Save these files on your computer.
- Next, first connect the Note with the computer via USB cord.
- Then, select all the downloaded files from the computer and copy-paste the same to your device.
- In the end, remove the USB cable and turn off the phablet.
- Up next, the recovery menu must be entered; for that press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on.
- Now, use the recovery menu for wiping the data (remember to back it up first): “wipe data factory reset”; “wipe cache partition”.
- Return: “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- You can now select and install the update file.
- Then, do the same for flashing the Google Apps package too.
- Wait for the installation procedure to be finished and then select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well, that was all for now. You have finally learned how to update the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717 to Android Jelly Bean OS. Now the Eclipse 2.0 custom ROM firmware is running on your device; you should test the new software in order to see if there are bugs or issues into the system. Do tell us how things worked for you and share your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users as well. Don’t forget to subscribe with us for receiving the latest news and all the Android related guides, tips and tricks.