AT&T finally released the OTA Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for the Samsung Galaxy Note as we were actually wondering when the carrier will start to roll out the highly expected firmware because almost all the others versions of the Note has been already installed with the latest version of the Android software. Anyway, the Jelly Bean OS can be anytime automatically flashed on your phablet, but if you need to manually install the ROM, then I recommend you to follow and complete the present step by step guide.
During the next few lines we will be checking on how to manually update the AT&T Galaxy Note, model number i717, to stock and official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS, all the info needed and the installation procedure being explained and detailed below. You need to perform a manual installation procedure if your Note is currently powered by a custom ROM firmware, or if your phablet is rooted; in that case you cannot receive the OTA variant of the update.
This update will bring all the Jelly Bean features, apps and capabilities on your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note, so Google Now, expandable notifications, faster browser experience, offline voice typing, high-resolution contact photos, resizable widgets on the home-screen, multi-window multitasking, customizable notification toggles, new widgets, two home-screen modes, Direct Call, Smart Stay, Pop-Up play, redesigned TouchWiz interface and lot more are being included in the stock Android 4.1.2 firmware.
Even though you will flash the official release of the Android system on your Galaxy Note, you still have to prepare your device for the update procedure as this is a manual installation procedure. So before going any further complete the tasks from the following list; also read the lines from below for checking other relevant info related to the present tutorial.
- If you choose to complete this guide you should know that you have nothing to worry about; the Note warranty will not get void.
- Furthermore, if your phablet has been rooted and updated with a custom ROM firmware, now you will be able to flash the stock Jelly Bean OS and restore the lost warranty.
- You don’t have to root your handset or install a custom recovery image on its system for being able to install the official Android 4.1.2 JB firmware on your AT&T Note.
- You do have to backup the data that is being saved on the internal storage of your smartphone, or else you might end up in losing all of your personal saves, info and data (make sure you are backing up at least the contacts list, call logs, EFS folder, market apps, text messages and internet settings).
- A Windows running computer, your phablet and its USB cord are being required.
- You need to enable the USB debugging option from your device.
- You need to deactivate the security tools and programs that are running on your computer and also on your smartphone.
- You need to ensure that there is at least 60% power left on your phone; else charge the battery as you don’t want to see how your Note is getting turned off while you are trying to flash the Jelly Bean OS.
- Take note that this tutorial is compatible only with the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy Note, so don’t apply the next steps if you have a different or similar Android based handset, or else you might end up in bricking your phablet.
How to Update AT&T Galaxy Note to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS
- On your computer download and install Samsung KIES because the Galaxy Note drivers must be flashed.
- Then, download the Jelly Bean firmware from here; also extract the downloaded file (preferable on desktop).
- Don’t forget to get and install Odin.
- On your PC now run Odin and then turn off your phablet.
- Reboot the device into download mode.
- In order to enter download mode press and hold Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
- With the handset booted in download mode, connect the Note with the computer by using the USB cable.
- Once you do that, take a look on Odin where you should notice: the ID:COM is yellow or blue and the “added” message is displayed.
- If not, you will have to re-install the drivers on your computer; then repeat the steps from above.
- If everything is working as explained, from Odin select “PDA”.
- Pick the firmware file from your computer.
- On Odin the Re-partition box must be unchecked.
- Click on “start”.
- The flashing operation will begin.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed and you can safely reboot your phablet.
- You are done.
The first problem that might appear is the following one: Odin gets stuck while you are trying to flash the ROM; well, if that happens, you need to:
- Close Odin.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Force restart the Galaxy Note.
- Reinstall the drivers on the computer.
- Open Odin.
- Reboot the handset into download mode and re-connect it with the computer.
- Resume the update procedure which is explained above.
Then, in the end, when you think that you are done, your device might get stuck in a boot loop. In this case you will have to wipe the system (do the backup first) by following the next steps:
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- You can boot the Note into recovery by pressing on Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- From recovery select : “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- Then select “reboot system now” and you are done.
Congratulations, you have finally updated your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software. Test the OS and see how it performs on your phablet and return here for sharing your impressions with us and with other users who might want to apply this tutorial. Also, stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips and tricks.