Update AT&T Galaxy Note I717 to Official Android 4.0.4 Firmware
After we have seen how to manually update (and also root) the international Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 with official Android 4.0.4 ICS OS, it’s time to bring the step by step method in which you can learn how to update the AT&T Galaxy Note, model number SGH-I717, with the same ICS 4.0.4 firmware. The ROM can be installed via Samsung KIES, but if you want to do it manually, this tutorial will be perfect for you. Of course, you need to ensure that you are applying the below steps only for the SGH-I717 and not for similar devices as you can easily brick them.
Now, we know that Jelly Bean is here and soon we will be able to update our smartphones with the same, but since then, the ICS flavor is still the best. Furthermore it is a good idea to have the stock ROM as you never know when you will need to make a downgrade or to apply the firmware. As you know, if your device is running a custom ROM, or if you gain root access over its system, the warranty will get void. So, in order to restore it you will have to install the official version of the Android platform. This may include a downgrade, or an easy update procedure.
The same can be applied when we are talking about this Android 4.0.4 software. In case your AT&T Galaxy Note is being powered by a custom ROM, or if you somehow damage its OS you will be able to safely and easily resolve the issues by completing this how to guide. Furthermore, this is the latest firmware available for the Note and its coming from Samsung meaning that it comes with new features and enhancements. From what we know the update was developed to resolve the bugs from the previous versions of the Android platform, so your phone’s performances will be improved.
To conclude, for being able to flash the official Android 4.0.4 update on your AT&T Note you don’t have to root your device. Also, if your phone was previously rooted the root access will now be revoked and the bootloader relocked. Furthermore, the warranty will not be affected, or it will be restored in case it was voided. But, as you will apply the ROM manually, you will still have to be precautious.
The only thing that you must be aware of is related to the data which is saved on your Galaxy Note. During the steps you will have to perform a wipe or else the ROM will not work properly. That’s why it is essential for you to make a backup operation. If you don’t know how to do it, just search through our how to section for suitable tutorials from where you can learn everything about the backup task. You will be able to download backup and restore apps for Android along with many other tips, so don’t hesitate and use our recommendations.
Finally, we have the pre requisites. You must have access to a Windows running computer and to the handset USB cord. Then, complete the following list.
- Download and install the proper drivers (download link here) on your computer.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your Note.
- If your computer and device is running security programs (antivirus included) it will be a good idea to deactivate them.
- Remember to do the backup.
- Apply this method only for the AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717.
- Charge your phone before starting the steps.
That was all, at least for now; go ahead and start the steps from below as you can safely apply the update on your Note now.
How to Update AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717 to Official Android 4.0.4 Firmware
- Download the firmware file from here.
- Extract the same.
- Then, download Odin.
- Extract Odin and run it.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot in download mode.
- Download mode: press and hold on Volume Down and Power buttons.
- Connect the device with the PC via USB cord.
- “Added” should be displayed on Odin; if not re-install the drivers.
- Click on “PDA” and just pick the file downloaded in step 1.
- Select “start” and don’t make any other changes in Odin.
- In the end the “pass” message should be displayed.
- Disconnect the phone by removing the USB cable.
- Reboot the handset and enter in recovery mode: hold Volume Up and Power buttons.
- From recovery choose “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (this is why you must backup the data first).
- Then select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you succeed in manually updating your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 to official Android 4.0.4 firmware. You can now go and install custom ROMs or root the new operating system for obtaining better performances. Do tell us how things worked for you and if you have other Android related questions. Stay close and check our daily posts for further how to guides.