Update AT&T Galaxy S2 I777 with SlimBean (build 6) Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM
The Galaxy S2 had received the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA update, but if you want even more, then you can anytime choose to flash a custom ROM firmware on your phone. Of course, if so, do ensure that you apply the latest ROMs which come with the latest version of Android OS pre-installed. Anyway, I will help you out, as in this tutorial I will show you how to update your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 with the new build 6 of SlimBean custom software; the same is powered by the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, so your SGS3 will be installed with the latest features and apps available.
A custom ROM can be only manually installed as it is not an official firmware; so this operation has nothing to do with Samsung or with AT&T. In fact, the Slim Bean OS has been developed by third party devs, so we have to thanks the xda-developers for the present step by step guide. Furthermore, this is the latest version of the Slim Bean platform, the software being based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. Therefore, by flashing the system on your Galaxy S2 I777 you will be able to receive all that’s new on the software market and I’m talking about latest features, apps, tools and capabilities.
SlimBean build 6 is a stable Jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware, so the same will smoothly run on your Galaxy S2. There are no bugs or things that aren’t working properly included in the ROM system and those who had already tried the software had declared that there is nothing wrong with this OS.
However, if you have decided to test the SlimBean software on your AT&T Galaxy S2 I777, start the installation procedure by completing the pre requisites. In this way you can be sure that everything is being prepared; else you will risk in bricking your phone because this is being considered a risky and complex operation. So, before going any further, check and apply the stuffs mentioned during the following list.
- When installing custom ROMs there are a few operations that have to be previously completed. And the first to begin with is the root procedure. Therefore root your Galaxy S2.
- The warranty will get void; you can restore the same by downgrading to stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS, by un-rooting the system or by updating with an upcoming official Android firmware released by Samsung or by AT&T.
- You then have to install a custom recovery image on your S2; unfortunately the stock one can’t be used in our case. The custom ROMs can be installed only on rooted systems that are installed with a custom recovery image, so ensure the same.
- Save everything that is on your phone’s internal storage memory because you will have to wipe the system. Without applying the wipe, the Slim Bean ROM will not run properly on your SGS2.
- Do save the contacts list, call logs, EFS, internet settings, text messages, market apps, calendar info and personal info and accounts.
- After rooting and installing CWM recovery (or any other recovery image) consider in saving the current ROM – by completing a Nandroid backup.
- Make sure that a computer, your phone and its USB cable are somewhere near you as you will have to use these devices.
- It is recommended to: enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone; charge its battery if there is less than 60% power left (if not skip this part); deactivate or uninstall the antivirus and the other security tools that are being installed on your computer and Galaxy S2.
That was all; now your handset is prepared for the update operation. Anyway, be aware as this step by step guide is compatible only with the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 – model number I777; so don’t apply the SlimBean JB 4.2.2 ROM by using the next steps if you own a similar or different device as you can end up in bricking your Android based smartphone.
How to Update AT&T Galaxy S2 I777 with SlimBean (build 6) Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Custom ROM
- On your computer you need to download the update file and the Google Apps package – it is not included in the firmware system, so you have to install it separately.
- SlimBean build 6 for AT&T Galaxy S2 – download link is here.
- Google Apps – get them from here.
- Save the files on your computer without unzipping them.
- Connect your phone with the PC; use the USB cord for establishing the connection.
- Take both files (the firmware and the Google Apps) and place them to your phone’s SD card.
- Then, remove the USB cable; the computer will no longer be used.
- Turn off your smartphone and reboot it into recovery mode.
- Note: for recovery you need to press on Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time.
- Once your device is in recovery mode, you need to select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache” – remember to backup the data before applying this step.
- Return to recovery menu and this time from there select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Go and pick the firmware file; install the same.
- Then, repeat the procedure and go and pick the Google Apps package; flash the same.
- In the end, return to recovery menu and select “reboot system now”.
- There you have it that was all.
Your Samsung Galaxy S2 I777 should now be running on the SlimBean custom ROM firmware. The software is powered by the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, so a custom version of the same should be installed on your phone. Do test the new platform and tell us how do you find it; are there bugs, is everything working as expected? Use the comments area from below for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us.