The official AT&T Galaxy S3 smartphone is now supporting the first official AOKP Nightly build base don Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Use this post if you want to learn how to successfully update your device with a brand new custom ROM.
There are tons of new features included in AOKP’s designed by its developers and you can learn more about this custom ROM by visiting its own official blog web page here.
Before starting the installation process for your phone you should take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T variant.
– don’t attempt to update any other Android devices with the files that you will find in this article as that will brick its firmware.
– if you own a different Galaxy S3 model, then you should click our ‘Update’ section and see if there is a guide available for it.
- your phone has to be rooted and running the latest CWM or TWRP Recovery version.
- for the new ROM to install correctly you will have to make sure to apply the NANDROID Backup and the Factory Reset steps.
– the NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM will set a restore point for your phone one that you can use in case the new AOKP KK Nightly ROM doesn’t boot correctly.
– the ‘factory reset’ process will wipe every file installed by the previous ROM.
– if you’re coming from a previous AOKP KitKat Nightly ROM, then you can skip these steps.
- if you want to save some data from your installed apps, then you should use Helium for Android app.
– Contacts and People details can be saved by syncing them with your default Gmail account.
- read this entire post, make sure that you don’t skip any instructions listed below.
- this post if for advanced users who wish to tinker with their phone’s OS.
- check the battery charge level of your phone, make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off during installation.
- note that we cannot be blamed in case you brick your phone, nor in case you end up losing any data in the process.
Now that you know all that you can safely continue to the next part of this article.
How to flash AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly for Galaxy S3 AT&T:
- Download the ROM zip file from here or here.
- Download Gapps for this ROM from here.
- Connect your phone to computer and move both zip files on to its internal storage.
– if you’ve already used the Galaxy S3 to download these files, then you can ignore this step.
– do not unzip the archived files.
- Power off the phone and make sure that it is not connected to your PC.
- Next, boot the phone in CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Create a full NANDROID Backup for the previously installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’.
– TWRP: press ‘Backup’.
– rename the file and confirm process.
- Now you can apply the “Factory Reset”.
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: press ‘Wipe’.
– confirm the factory reset and then continue to the next step.
– note that in case your device already runs on a previous build of official AOKP 4.4.x Nightly, then you can skip this step.
- Start the installation of AOKP 4.4.4 KitKat Nightlies for your Galaxy S3 AT&T:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find ROM zip file and confirm the installation process.
- After the AOKP Nightlies are installed you can flash the Gapps zip too.
- When all files have been flashed return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot the phone in normal mode.
– note that this first boot process takes at least ten minutes before it loads all the necessary files.
- Use your login details in order to take control over your phone once again.
If the installation fails, then you can choose to repeat the whole guide more than one until the AOKP 4.4.4 Nightly builds sticks with your Galaxy S3 AT&T.
For any extra help use the comments field below.