If you want to update your Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 or I747M to the latest Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1 firmware, then you can do the same as soon as you install the unofficial version of the AOKP custom ROM software. The present update comes with features ported from the official CM10 and AOKP platforms and also brings extra capabilities to your device, the firmware being developed and offered by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this opportunity. Anyway, if you do want to flash the Jelly Bean 4.2.1 based AOKP custom ROM on your AT&T or Rogers Galaxy S3 check out the next lines where I have explained and detailed the installation procedure.
This is not an official update released by Samsung for your Galaxy S3 and furthermore this is also not the official version of the AOKP custom ROM. This means that first you will void the warranty of your device by completing this step by step guide and second there might be some minor bugs or issues into the system of the software. As mentioned the firmware will install the Android 4.2.1 OS on your AT&T or Rogers Galaxy S3, though you will not get the default version of the Jelly Bean platform. Remember that this is a custom ROM, so there will be custom features, looks and apps.
Considering the up mentioned facts, it should be clear for you that the AOKP ROM cannot be OTA or by using KIES applied on your SGS3. A manual installation procedure is being required, the same being explained here. The update operation is risky and complex but if you follow my directions and complete all the pre requisites listed below, everything should be fine; else you can end up in bricking your smartphone. If you want to learn more about the AOKP update, about its features and more just check our source page by using the link from here.
As mentioned, in order to avoid the unpleasant situations and for properly prepare the SGS3 for the flashing procedure that will follow, read and apply the pre requisites. Do not skip any section from this tutorial and make sure that you are performing the tasks as presented during the next lines.
- You need to have a rooted Galaxy S3 with a custom recovery image installed.
- For the root process, unsure you use a guide that is suitable with the AT&T or Rogers version of your Galaxy S3.
- Also, do the same when flashing a custom recovery image. I recommend you to use the CWM recovery tool as it is the most used recovery by the Android users. Take note as the recovery image can be installed only on a rooted system.
- Remember that we are dealing with a custom ROM that can be updated only on a rooted Galaxy S3. Therefore, by installing the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 OS you will void the warranty of your smartphone.
- The warranty can be restored only by downgrading to the stock firmware, of by updating to an official software released by Samsung for your AT&T or Rogers GS3.
- A wipe must be applied (I will show you how a little bit later) so before going any further don’t forget to backup the SGS3 data (messages, EFS, market apps, contacts and everything else).
- If you think that you might not like the AOKP ROM, then complete a Nandroid backup too as you will be able to restore the stock OS.
Those were the essential pre requisites. Completing the same is requiring some time, so don’t rush things up. In the end, after ensuring that all the tasks from above are being applied, resume the rest of the step from below. Now we will be checking in which the general pre requisites are (performing the same will only take a couple of minutes from your time).
- A computer or notebook will be used, where you will have to download the required files.
- Therefore, the smartphone and its USB cable should also be near you.
- If on your computer and Galaxy S3 you have installed security programs, like antivirus, before beginning the update operation, deactivate or uninstall these tools; usually the security options are interrupting the update process.
- If you notice that the power left on your phone is less than 60%, go and charge the battery; else the S3 might get turned off while the AOKP is being flashed and you will risk in bricking your device.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device and apply the next steps only if you own the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number SGH-I747 or SGH-I747M.
How to Update AT&T and Rogers Galaxy S3 with AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file by using the link from here, or from here.
- Also, download the Google apps package from here.
- Save the files on your computer first.
- Then, use the USB cable and connect the handset with the PC / notebook.
- Copy paste the files downloaded before from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord; also turn off the handset.
- Reboot into recovery mode: press and hold the Volume Up, Power, and Home buttons together.
- Use the recovery menu and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu and select “advance” followed by “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return and select “mounts and storage” followed by “format / system”.
- Again, return to the main menu and this time select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file and install the same.
- Then, repeat the step for flashing the Google apps package too.
- Finally select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was all; be aware as the first boot might take longer than usual, but there is nothing wrong with your phone. Finally you should be noticing that your Samsung Galaxy S3 has been successfully updated with the AOKP Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. This is the unofficial variant of the software so there might be minor bugs in the system. If you do find something that isn’t working properly, share the problems with us and with other users. Remember that you can anytime reboot into recovery mode once more and choose to restore the stock ROM (only if you have previously made a Nandroid backup).