Samsung Captivate I897 can be updated to Jelly Bean by using the AOKP Build 3 ROM. Use all the instructions that I have listed in this post and you will learn how to properly flash all files in order to get this latest release by Android Open Kang Project. If you have trouble in using this guide, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
This new update of AOKP will bring tons of new features and functions that should improve the overall performance of your device. Note that bugs and errors present in previous released have been fixed, but, you might still find some problems with this ROM. If you wish to install this new AOKP JB Build 3 ROM successfully, you will first need to read the entire tutorial and the preparation info in order to backup important apps and data. Do not use this guide in case you are a novice as you might end up bricking the phone.
The build 3 of AOKP JB has SMS QuickReply function, expert calculator functions, new functions for the Clock app. Support for custom ringtones has been added. There might be some other new things included withing the ROM, but you should discover them by yourself. Make sure that you read all this tutorial and remember not to skip any important steps. Also, note that your phone should be rooted. More info regarding the preparation process is listed below.
After you read the guidelines below, you can move to the ‘how-to’ guide. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install this AOKP build 3 based on Android 4.1.1 only on the AT&T Samsung Captivate device with model number I897. The model number of your phone can be checked by opening Settings and then opening the ‘About device’ menu. Do not attempt to flash the files that you find in this post on different device.s
- Also, your phone has to be unlocked, rooted and running the CWM Recovery. Without these requirements being met you won’t be able to flash this new custom ROM.
- Backup all your important data files by moving them on your phone’s internal sdcard. This part of your device cannot be deleted in the updating process.
- To backup applications, Call Logs, SMS and the APN Internet Settings please use these utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android. Note that some of these tools will work only with rooted devices.
- Sync your Contacts with your Gmail profile. This step will save all your currently stored phone contacts numbers and other details.
- Remember to charge your devices’ battery so that the Captivate I897 device will not power off while you’re flashing this new ROM.
- Enable USB debugging option from your phone’s Android Development menu.
- You can choose to use ROM Manager or the ClockworkMod recovery to create a full backup of the existing ROM. After you install this ROM you might wish to return tot he previous ROM and that backup will prove to be useful. Also, this can be used in case you cannot upgrade and you get errors while trying to flash the AOKP build 3 ROM.
- We cannot be held responsible in case you damage your phone or in case you brick it. Note that this tutorial should be applied only by an advanced Android user. In case you cannot complete the installation, then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you read all of the above and you still wish to flash this AOKP Jelly Bean build 3 on your phone, then you should continue to the next part of this post. Make sure that you do not skip any steps listed below. Also, use the comments section and leave a detailed comment in case you get stuck and you cannot complete the update.
How to install AOKP JB build 3 ROM on your AT&T Samsung Captivate I897
- Download the AOKP build 3 zip from HERE. Do not extract the files comprised within.
- Next, download the Gapps for Jelly Bean file from here. Don’t extract it. Note that you should download only the file for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and not the other ones for the previous Android releases.
- After the download is complete you should connect your Captivate device to your PC. Transfer both files on the internal sd card. Disconnect the phone from PC.
- Power off the phone. Boot into CWM Recovery by pressing simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when the screen powers ON.
- Select ‘backup and restore’ option if you wish to create a full backup of your currently installed ROM. After the backup is finished, proceed to the next step or, in case you don’t want to create any backups then skip this step.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Browse for the AOKP JB Build 3 custom ROM and install it. If the update doesn’t install, you should try to repeat the process.
- After the ROM is installed you should select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the Gapps file. Install it.
- When both zip files were installed, you can return to the main recovery menu. Select ‘reboot system now’.
- Now your phone will begin the first boot process into AOKP Jelly Bean. Note that this process shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to complete. In case you phone gets into a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot logo animation for more than 15 minutes, then it means that the new ROM wasn’t installed correctly and you have to repeat the entire tutorial again.
- If the ROM has been installed correctly, you should be taken to the main Android 4.1.1 AOKP home screen. Enter your Google account credentials and take full control over your device.
- That should be all. Restore all your files and applications, and start testing this new Android custom release.
If you still have trouble installing the ROM, you should post a detailed comments with the steps you took and we will try to help complete the update.
For more helpful guides regarding the AT&T Captivate I897 by Samsung, you should click the device’s name that’s listed under this post’s featured photo; you’ll find several other guides that will allow you to improve the performances of your phone.