Update AT&T Samsung Captivate I897 with Salty Bean AOKP custom ROM
Samsung Captivate AT&T users are capable of installing a brand new Jelly Bean-based ROM, it is called Salty Bean and it is built around AOKP. Use the instructions that I’ve listed in this article and you will learn how to properly flash all the necessary files and get this brand new custom ROM for your smartphone. Do not attempt to flash the Salty Bean ROM if you’re a novice.
This custom ROM is currently in development stage and some things aren’t working correctly such as the Ext SD, which cannot be mounted successfully. Also, note that the flash mode of the ROM you will see a Status 7 error and the device will reboot, but that is normal and the cause for it, is an updating script that was used by the Salty Bean developer as it differs from the AOKP one. I think that you already know that this isn’t an official Samsung update and that means that it doesn’t pack bloatware.
Salty Bean AOKP-based ROM will bring a new UI, no bloatware, improved performance, faster boot, better memory usage and multiple other optimized features. Before you can begin to flash this custom installation, you should read the preparation guide below. You will learn how to properly configure your device for the install process, so that you won’t lose any important data in the process.
Now that you’ve read all this general info, you should move to the pre-requisites guide and you’ll learn how to properly prepare your computer for the installation of Salty Bean AOKP custom ROM. If you cannot understand some of the instructions below, then you should post in our comments section:
- Apply this custom ROM update only on the AT&T variant of Samsung Galaxy Captivate with the model number I897. Verify your device’s version number by opening Settings and checking the info listed under ‘About device’ menu. Don’t try to flash Salty Bean ROM on any other smartphone.
- The Galaxy Captivate I897 has to be on a rooted firmware and ClockworkMod Recovery image has to be installed on it. If your device doesn’t have all these, then you shouldn’t try to flash the ROM.
- You should create a NANDROID backup of your existing ROM. The backup file can be used to restore your device to the current ROM in case you don’t like the new one.
- Move all important data files on your phone’s internal SDcard, as that one won’t be deleted during the installation.
- Also, you should backup your installed apps, SMS, Call Logs and the APN Internet Settings with the following utilities: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore | AppBack for Android.
- Remember to charge the device’s battery so that it won’t power off in the middle of the updating process.
- Enable USB Debugging mode option from your Android’s Development menu.
- This tutorial is destined to be applied by advanced Android users. Do not blame us in case your device will be damaged or in case you lose data when you’re installing Salty Bean ROM.
- Remember that this custom installation ROM might pack some bugs and you should tell us in comments in case you find any. Also, use the comments section to post all your extra questions regarding the Captivate ROM and the Salty Bean AOKP custom ROM.
I think that these are all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully flash this brand new ROM for your smartphone. Don’t skip any of the steps that I have listed in this tutorial.
How to update Samsung Galaxy Captivate AT&T I897 using Salty Bean AOKP custom ROM
- Download the Salty Bean custom ROM zip HERE. Don’t extract its contents and save the file on your PC.
- Download the Salty Bean Addons that includes the Google Apps and other apks. Download link HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not unzip it.
- After both zips are downloaded you should connect the smartphone to your PC and then move them on its internal SD card. When the transfer is complete you should unplug the device from computer.
- Power off the Captivate phone completely and then boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing and holding simultaneously the following buttons: volume down, volume up, power. When the display powers ON you should release the buttons.
- When you’re in CWM Recovery mode, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option first. This action will remove all the applications and other files from your phone. Note that the internal sd card contents will be left unchanged and you will be able to access them even after the install is complete.
- After the data is wiped, you should select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Salty Bean ROM file and confirm that you want to install it. Note that the phone might restart right in the middle of Salty Bean flash process and, you should repeat this step once again.
- When the custom AOKP ROM is successfully flashed, you should choose ‘install zip from sdcard’ again. Then, select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and now you should browse your device for the Salty Bean Addons file. Confirm the installation.
- After both zip files were successfully flashed, you should return to CWM Recovery main menu and select the option that says ‘Advanced’. From the next menu select ‘Fix Permissions’. Return to the main recovery menu.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the AT&T Captivate device to perform its first boot with this new ROM. Note that this process shouldn’t take more than 7 minutes. In case the device takes too long to boot or it gets stuck in a boot loop, then you should repeat the entire tutorial once again.
- If everything went according to plan, then you’re done. Enter your Google Account, then you’ll take full control over your device and you can begin to test this Salty Bean AOKP-based ROM.
Tell us in comments your impressions about this new installation. Also, post all the errors and bugs you find while using it.
If you cannot complete the installation at your first attempt, then you should repeat the entire guide again and this time make sure that your device meets all the requirements and that you’ve applied all the steps listed above. For more AT&T Samsung Captivate I897 guides click on the device’s link name listed under this article’s featured picture.