The Samsung Galaxy Captivate I897 has received an update to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean that was created by wrsmega, and XDA forum member and developer. This update is based on CyanogenMod 10 and you should upgrade your device with it only if you’re an advanced Android user. Please note that this build of CM10 based Jelly Bean custom ROM is an alpha build and it should be used only for testing purposes.
The CM10 was announced by the CyanogenMod Team and it will be based on Google’s latest Android release, Jelly Bean 4.1. For the moment this build is experimental and a preliminary release and you should first create a full backup of your currently ROM so that in case the CM10 Jelly Bean isn’t working then you can restore your device’s previous firmware.
The following features have been confirmed to be working: Wifi, Calls, SMS, Data, GPS, Google Now, Play Store, Audio, Camera, Butter. The Google Ears or Sound Search isn’t working. There might be some other features that aren’t working and you should expect some force close errors for several services and Jelly Bean apps. Before moving to the tutorial guide you should read the preparation info below. This will teach you how to correctly configure your device so that the CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1 upgrade will install without problems. Here’s what you need to know:
- apply the update only on Samsung Captivate model number I897. The phone version can be checked by opening Settings and then scroll down to ‘About phone’. If the I897 model number is listed, then you can continue reading this tutorial.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Remove the ‘sim card lock’. Open Settings, then Location and Security and clear the ‘Sim Card Lock’ check box. If it’s disabled already then you can close the Location and Security screen and move to the next step.
- Move all your important data files on your device’s internal sdcard. If you wish to save SMS, Call Logs info, APN settings and installed applications then you should use the following Android apps from Google Play Store: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account and you won’t lose any save phone numbers.
- Charge the phone battery so that it won’t power OFF during the update. 70% power level should be enough.
- Note that this guide is destined to be applied only by advanced Android users. If you’re a beginner and you still want to update, then you should be careful and make sure to read twice all the steps you need to take for Jelly Bean update process to work without problems.
Now that you know all this, I think that you’re ready to move to the tutorial guide. In case you cannot complete the Jelly Bean update, then you should tell us in comments and we will help you. Make sure that you apply all the steps I’ve listed in the tutorial.
How to update Samsung Captivate I897 to CM10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Preliminary Build
- Download the unofficial CM10 Jelly Bean ROM from HERE. Save this file on your PC and don’t extract its contents.
- Download Gapps for Jelly Bean package from HERE. This file has to be flashed so that you’ll be able to use Google Now, Play Store, Gmail and other Google-based apps. Save the file on your PC without unzipping it.
- Next, download the Devil3 kernel that you will need for this ROM to work. Save it on your PC and don’t extract the contents.
- Connect your device to your PC and copy all the files downloaded at the above 3 steps on your device’s internal sdcard. After the files transfer has been completed you need to unplug your Captivate phone from your PC and power it OFF.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode. It can be done by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons. Wait until the ClockworkMod recovery screen boots up and then release the buttons.
- When in CWM Recovery mode you need to first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm the process.
- Next, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the Jelly Bean ROM file on the sdcard and install it.
- When the new CM10-based ROM zip has been installed you will need to flash the ‘Devil3’ zip. This will install the kernel. Again select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ only that this time you need to install the ‘Devil3’ zip file. Confirm and wait until the install is complete.
- Note that your Captivate device might restart into recovery during the installation of the new kernel. THat’s normal. In case the device gets stuck into a boot loop, then you will have to remove its battery and then re-insert it and reboot into CWM Recovery as you did at step 5. If everything went according to plan then you should move to the next step.
- After the Devil3 kernel has been installed you will need to flash the Gapps package for Jelly Bean. Repeat the actions at step 7 only that now you need to select the ‘Gapps’ zip instead of the ‘ROM’ file.
- When the Gapps have been installed successfully you will need to fix the permissions. Return to the main CWM Recovery menu and select ‘Advanced’. From the new menu select ‘Fix Permissions’ and confirm.
- Return to the recovery main screen and select ‘reboot system now’. Now your device will restart for the first time into CM10 based Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM. Allow it at least 10 minutes to complete the first boot and then the device will load its new JB home screen.
- Enter your Google account details and start testing Google’s latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Captivate I897 smartphone.
If the first boot process takes way too long to complete, then you should remove the battery, then re-insert it and boot again into CWM Recovery mode. Repeat the entire tutorial once again and this second time make sure that you apply all the actions I’ve listed above. In case you have trouble completing the Jelly Bean installation then you should ask for help in comments.