Update AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I317 to Rooted Android 4.1.2 UCALK7 Stock Firmware
The AT&T variant of Galaxy Note 2 can now be updated to Android 4.1.2 official Jelly Bean firmware. This guide teaches you how to update your phablet with a rooted version of the UCALK7 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 ROM. Read the entire post and make sure that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed below.
The new firmware update brings multi-window function and some other improvements / tweaks that will enhance the overall Android 4.1 Jelly Bean experience. Before starting to update your device with the latest firmware, you will first have to read the preparation guide and the extra steps you need to take so that the update will complete successfully at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install this rooted stock firmware of Android 4.1.2 only on hte AT&T variant of Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with the model number I317. Do not attempt to install the files you find here on any other smartphone or tablet.
- Create backups of all the data files you currently store on your device. Also, make sure that your device’s battery is fully charged so that it won’t power off during the updating process.
- Your device needs to have the CWM Recovery installed on it.
- Enable USB debugging option from the Android Developer Options menu.
- Read the entire tutorial and use this guide only if you’re an advanced Android user. Do not attempt to flash the rooted Stock Android 4.1.2 ROM if you’re a novice and you don’t know how to use CWM Recovery.
- It would be better if you’d create a full NANDROID backup of the currently installed ROM.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case something goes wrong and you cannot use your device after installation.
- Use the comments section to ask for extra help.
These were all the instructions that you had to follow before moving to the tutorial guide.
How to flash Rooted Android 4.1.2 UCALK7 on AT&T Galaxy Note 2 I317:
- Download the ROM from HERE. Save the zip file on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC and then move the ROM on its internal SD card. Disconnect the devices when the transfer is complete.
- Power off your phablet device completely.
- Boot it into CWM Recovery by pressing at the same time Volume up, Home and Power buttons. Release the buttons when the screen flickers.
- Use the ‘backup and restore’ option in CWM Recovery to create a full Nandroid backup of your current ROM. If you already have such backup then you can skip this step and move to the next one.
- Select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then you should confirm this process.
- Now you need to select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the rooted Android 4.1.2 Stock ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the update is complete and the file installs you will have to return to the main recovery screen.
- Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait for the device to boot into normal mode.
- Enter your Google Account details and now you can begin to test the new Android 4.1.2 UCALK7 rooted ROM.
The first boot process with this new ROM shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes. If it takes longer than that, then you will need to remove the phablet’s battery, then re-insert it after 5 seconds and then boot once again in ClockworkMod Recovery. Repeat the entire tutorial starting with step 4 and this time the Android 4.1.2 UCALK7 ROM should install succesfully.
Also, if you don’t like how your phone runs with the new ROM, then you can easily use CWM Recovery and the ‘backup and restore’ option and, restore the previous ROM. If you have any other questions then you should tell us in comments.