AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has received its own Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 custom ROM and you can use this tutorial in order to update your device easily in under ten minutes. Read this article and make sure not to skip any instructions listed in the ‘how-to’.
If you want to learn more about this custom ROM and the changes that it will apply for your smartphone, then you should use the info listed at Carbon AOSP developer web page here. For this new custom Android 4.3 ROM to install correctly on your Note 2 AT&T you will first need to take a look at the preparation guide below:
- Use this post only for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on AT&T.
- Don’t attempt to update any other smartphones with the files that you find in this guide as you will brick its firmware.
- Your AT&T Note 2 has to be factory unlocked and rooted.
- CWM or TWRP Recovery needs to be installed on your device. Both of them are supported by this tutorial.
- You will need to apply a factory reset for your device. This deletes all contents from the system partition, while the internal and external storage won’t be affected.
- Backup the installed applications data using Helium (here) from Google Play or Titanium Backup (here).
- SMS, Call logs info and APN Internet Settings can be saved using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for some of these tools.
- Sync Contacts info with your Gmail account. If you don’t know how to do it, then you will find this info here useful.
- Enable USB debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Create a NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is now installed on your AT&T Note 2. This will set a restore point for the phablet and it can be used in case the device doesn’t boot into normal mode.
- This guide is for more advanced users, do not blame us in case the device doesn’t boot with the new ROM or it gets bricked.
- If you cannot complete this tutorial then you should ask for more help in comments.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this article.
How to install Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 Nightly ROM for AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– sort the files by date using the ‘modification time’ section and download the latest available build.
- Download Gapps for this type of Android 4.3 ROMs from here.
- Connect the device with your PC then move both files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
– After the files are copied, disconnect the Note 2 from computer.
- Now you can power off the phone and boot it into CWM / TWRP Recovery Mode.
– press Volume Up, Home and Power buttons at the same time until the custom Recovery mode menu appears.
- First you need to create the ROM Nandroid Backup for the OS that is now installed on your device:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’ option. Make sure to save the backup file to your device’s internal storage.
– TWRP: press Backup, then confirm the process.
- Next, apply the ‘factory reset’ step:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, then Factory Reset. Confirm.
- Now, flash the new Carbon Android 4.3 Nightly ROM:
– CWM: use the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip and install it.
– TWRP: press the Install option button, then load the ROM file and confirm its installation by swiping the blue button at the bottom of the screen.
– note that the installation of this ROM might take several minutes to complete and you shouldn’t interfere with this process.
- After you manage to install the ROM, repeat step 7 instructions in order to flash Gapps zip.
- When both files are installed, return to the main CWM / TWRP Recovery screen. Reboot your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process might take up to ten minutes until it loads all the Carbon AOSP ROM files, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons.
– if the first boot process takes more than that or the phone enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- Enter your Google Account info when the Carbon Android 4.3 Nightly ROM home screen appears. Take control over your device and start testing all of its new features and functions.
These were all the steps that you had to follow in order to flash all this new ROM files. I hope that you managed to update your AT&T Galaxy Note 2. If you stumbled upon any problems, then you should ask for more help in our comments field.
If the ROM doesn’t install at the first attempt, then you should repeat the entire tutorial without skipping any steps that I’ve listed above.
In case you don’t like the Carbon AOSP Android 4.3 custom ROM or your device is slow after installing it, then you can always use the NANDROID Backup files created in step 5 to restore your Note 2 AT&T to its previous ROM.