The official OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies are now available for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 device. Learn how to install it using the info that I’ve listed in this post.
OmniROM KitKat Nightly is in its first phase and now it might not be the most stable ROM but it will do its work, which is to allow as many users as possible to test the latest Android 4.4 features. Besides the AOSP Android features you will also be getting some OmniROM new elements: the multi-window support, multi-workspace, per-app permissions controls, flippable quick settings menu, a new more minimal incoming call alert and others more.
Before starting the installation you will first have to take a look at the guidelines below:
- Use this post only with the AT&T variant of the Galaxy Note 2 phone.
- do not attempt to update any other devices with the files that you find in this article.
- Your phablet device has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery image.
- Factory Reset is required and you shouldn’t skip it, as this step is found in the tutorial.
- note that the Factory Reset process will wipe data from the system part of your device, while the internal and external storage won’t be affected by this process.
- Backup data from installed applications using Helium tool here ( Google Play Store link).
- Backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- root access will be needed for these tools.
- Sync Contacts data and other People details with your default Gmail account.
- if you don’t know how to do it, then you can follow the info listed here.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options section.
- Check your phone’s battery power level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that you won’t see the phone switching off before the installation is complete.
- NANDROID ROM Backup is required for the OS that is currently running on your smartphone.
- this will create a restore point for your phone and you can use it in case the new OmniROM KitKat Nightly doesn’t boot correctly in normal mode.
- This is a tutorial for advanced users and you shouldn’t blame us in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- read the entire post and make sure not to skip any steps in order to complete the installation.
- For any extra help use the comments field.
These were all the guidelines that you had to go over in order to correctly configure your smartphone for the installation of a new custom ROM.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for AT&T Galaxy Note 2:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
- make sure to download the latest version possible by sorting all files by ‘last modified’.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Connect your phone with your PC and move the files on your phone’s internal storage.
- after the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
- do not unzip the archives.
- Power off the device now.
- Next, boot the phone in CWM Recovery Mode.
- do it by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power simultaneously.
- release the buttons when the custom Recovery screen appears.
- First, create a NANDROID ROM Backup for the installed OS:
- select ‘backup and restore’, then save the file.
- continue to the next step when done.
- Now you can apply the Factory Reset:
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
> don’t skip this step.
> in case you skip this step and the phone doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you will have to repeat this entire tutorial.
- Flash the custom OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly ROM:
- select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and find the custom ROM zip.
> confirm the installation and continue to the next step when the process is complete.
- When the new ROM is flashed you will have to repeat step 8 and flash the Gapps zip.
- After you complete the installations, return to the main CWM Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
- note that the first boot process will take at least five minutes to load all the new files, which is why you shouldn’t press any buttons until then.
- Enter your Google Account details and take control over your device once again.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the updating process and installation of OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for your Galaxy Note 2 AT&T.
If you don’t like this new ROM or you find it to slower than the previous one, then you can always choose to restore your AT&T Note 2 to its previous ROM using the NANDROID Backup file created in step 6
If you have any other questions or in case you cannot complete the tutorial, then you can always choose to ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to come up with a viable solution for you.