AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717 can be updated with the CyanogenMod 9 Nightly ROM and if you wish to learn how to this, then you should follow the instructions I’ve listed in this post. If you can’t complete the tutorial then you should use the comments field to ask for help.
CM9 Nightly has been launched for I717 Galaxy Note device from AT&T and now you can install it on your device. This is an AOSP based ROM and the 3G video calling won’t work because this isn’t a stock firmware ROM. However, you can use Skype as a video calling service. Before starting to update your device, you will need to read the preparation guide and learn how to correctly it and install the update at your first attempt.
Make sure that you know what you’re doing and that you know how to use CWM Recovery to flash the CM9 ICS nightly ROM. That’s all the general info I had for you, now move to the preparation guide. Here’s what you need to know:
- CM9 Nightly is based on ICS and the one listed in this post can be installed only on the Galaxy Note I717 AT&T variant. Do not attempt to install it on the International Galaxy Note I7000 device as you might end up bricking that one. To check your device’s model number, open Settings and after that scroll down to the ‘About Phone’. That’s where you will find the model number of your Galaxy Note device.
- Backup all your important files. Move them on your device’s internal or external sdcard as these two won’t be deleted during the update.
- If you wish to save applications, SMS, Call Logs info and the APN Settings then you should use these tools: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- The Phone Contacts stored on your device should be synced with the Gmail account assigned to your phone. Here you can find a guide that will teach you how to do that.
- Your device should have CWM Recovery installed.
- Enable USB debugging option.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the power levels are over 70%. This will prevent the phone from powering off during the update process.
- This guide is for advanced users only and you should know that you’re installing this new CM9 Nightly build ROM at your own risk and we won’t be held responsible in case your device will be bricked.
- Read all the instructions I’ve listed in this article twice and only after that you should begin to install CM9 ROM on your Galaxy Note I717 smartphone.
Update Galaxy Note I717 AT&T with CM9 Nightly ROM
- Download the CM9 Nightly ROM zip file HERE. Save it on your computer and don’t extract its contents.
- Download GApps zip HERE. This file needs to be flashed after the ROM is installed and will add Gmail, Play Store and all other Google apps that your phone needs. Download the one that is CM9 based.
- Connect the phone to your PC and move both zip files on its internal sdcard. After the transfer is complete, you should unplug the phone and power it off.
- Boot into CWM Recovery mode by holding ‘volume up’ + ‘power’ buttons pressed at the same time. When the screen powers ON you should release Power but keep the ‘volume up’ button pressed until the CWM Recovery menu appears.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the next menu select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Next, select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and confirm that you want to delete all files. This option is listed on the first page of the CWM Recovery menu.
- After the data has been deleted you should repeat step 5 and install Gapps zip. The ROM shouldn’t be flashed again as you already did that.
- When the GApps installation is complete you should return to the main recovery mode menu. Select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process on CM9 Nightly ROM completes. Note that this might take at least 10 minutes to complete and you should simply wait until the home screen appears.
That’s all you had to do in order to update your Galaxy Note I717 to CM9 Nightly-based Ice Cream Sandwich ROM. In case you cannot complete the installation you should ask for help in comments and we will try to help you finish the update.