Update AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717 with AOSPxxx JB Custom ROM
The AT&T variant of Galaxy Note has received a brand new custom ROM that is based on Android 4.1 AOSP and CM10 builds. Use the instrucitons in this post and you’ll learn how to successfully flash the custom ROM on your I717 phablet. Make sure to read the entire post and that you won’t skip any steps that I have listed here.
AOSPxxx is based on AOSP and CM10 builds of Android 4.1. It has been released by an XDA developer named ‘rquiett’. This new Jelly Bean based custom ROM comes with the S-Pen functions and S Note along with ES File Manager and multiple other features. If you wish to install it on your smartphone, then you should read the guidelines below:
- Use this custom ROM only with the Samsung Galaxy Note AT&T variant which has the I717 model number. It will not work with any other Android device.
- The phone you’re about to update with it has to be rooted and running a CWM Recovery image.
- It is highly recommended for you to create a full NANDROID backup of the current ROM. This sets a restore point for your phone and it should be very useful in case you cannot use the device after the new ROM is installed.
- The tutorial will tell you to wipe data and factory reset the device and, that means that you should move all your important to your device’s internal SD card. That’s the only part left unchanged by the AOSPxxx Jelly Bean / CM10 ROM installation.
- Sync your Contacts with the Gmail account that you’ve assigned for your device.
- Remember to charge your phone battery so that it won’t power off during the ROM install process.
- Note that we cannot be blamed in case your device gets bricked or you lose any data after flashing this new custom Jelly Bean ROM. Use the comments section if you have any problems completing the update.
- Read the entire post and only after you’re sure that you can complete the update, you should begin the installation of the ROM.
I think that these were all the extra instructions you had to read before moving to the tutorial guide below.
How to install AOSPxxx AOSP Jelly Bean / CM10 custom ROM on AT&T Galaxy Note I717:
- Download the custom ROM zip from HERE.
- Get the Gapps for Jelly Bean Android 4.1.x from HERE. Don’t download any other new Google apps zip file; just make sure you get the one for Android 4.1.x (CM10).
- After the files are downloaded successfully you should connect your smartphone to your PC. Now move the AOSPxxx and Gapps zip files on the phablet’s internal SD card. After that you need to disconnec the phone from computer.
- Power off the Galaxy Note I717 device now and then boot it into CWM Recovery. It can be done by pressing at the same time Volume up and Power buttons until the display lights up, which is when you have to release Power button, while at the same time you should keep pressing the Volume Up button. The ClockworkMod Recovery main menu will now load.
- If you didn’t create a NANDROID backup of your current ROM, then you should select ‘backup and restore’ option. In case you already have a backup you can get to the next step or, in case you don’t have one then you should create one and only after the backup you can continue with the rest of this article’s instructions.
- Now, select the option that says ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm this process.
- Next, find the ‘install zip from sdcard’ option and open it. Select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then you have to browse for the AOSPxxx custom ROM zip file. Confirm that you want to install it.
- Select once again the ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option after the new ROM is installed. This time you should find the Gapps file and confirm its installation.
- Return to the main CWM Recovery screen when the files were installed and select ‘reboot system now’.
- Wait until the first boot process with this new ROM completes. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.
- Enter your Google Account credentials and that should do it, you’ve successfully update your Galaxy Note with AOSPxXx Jelly Bean custom ROM.
If you cannot complete the install from your first attempt, then you should power off the device and after that you can give it another try, as eventually you should manage to flash all files successfully.
Test the new AOSPxxx custom Android 4.1 / CM10 custom ROM for AT&T Galaxy Note and tell us in comments which are its best features.