Update AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SkyRocket I727 to Android 4.1 JellyBean with CyanogenMod ( CM ) 10 Alpha Build
There is an alpha build of CyanogenMod Team’s upcoming CM10 release available for the Galaxy S2 SkyRocket and now you can use this guide to learn how to install it. Note that this release is a preliminary build of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean CM10 based and you should install it only for testing its new features. Read this whole tutorial and you will manage to successfully update your device to Google’s latest Android release.
This CM10 Jelly Bean ROM has been bundled by sk8erwtiskil, an XDA forum member and developers. With this new update you will get improved voice search, Google Now, offline voice typing, better UI etc. All these are features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. With this new ROM you will get only some working features such as: bluetooth, data, adb, messaging, wi-fi, root and busybox. All other functions and features won’t work with this release and that’s why it is strongly recommended for you to create a FULL backup of the current installed ROM.
Before moving to the tutorial you should read the guidelines below and learn how to correctly configure your device so that you will manage to install CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1 custom ROM on your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket device. Here’s what you need to know:
- This tutorial works only with the AT&T Galaxy S2 SkyRocket with the model number i727. Do not attempt to install it on any other device note even on the other US variants such as Epic 4G, S2, AT&T Galaxy S2. Check the device’s model number by opening Settings, and then ‘About phone’.
- Create a full backup of the ROM that you’re currently using with your device.
- You will lose data during the update and that’s why you should move all important files on your device’s internal sdcard. If you want to backup SMS, Call Logs, APN Settings and the applications you have installed on your device, then you should try the following apps: AppBAK for Android apps backups | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Your Phone Contacts should be synced with the Gmail account assigned to your phone. This guide HERE teaches you how to do that.
- Enable USB Debugging option.
- Fully charge your device’s battery so that it won’t power OFF during the updating process.
- Install CWM Recovery on your device before moving to the tutorial. In case you already have CWM installed then you should skip this step.
- The tutorial should be applied only by advanced users. In case you cannot complete it then you should ask for help in comments.
- Remember that this build of CM10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is alpha and some functions and features won’t work which means that you should only use it to test the new Jelly Bean features.
Now that you know all of the above, you should move to the first step of the tutorial. Don’t skip any steps I’ve listed and in case don’t understand some of the instructions I’ve listed then let me know by leaving a comment at the of this post.
How to install CM10 alpha Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 SkyRocket I727
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE. Save it on your PC without extracting it.
- Download the GApps package for Jelly Bean HERE. This file will install the Google Now, Play Store, Gmail and other Google-based tools that you need for a better Anroid experience. Do not unzip this file.
- Download the DarkSide Super Wipe zip HERE. Don’t extract its contents. This file will delete the required partitions before flashing the ROM files.
- Download the SuperUser/ Root fix zip file from HERE. This file will offer your device root access.
- After you’ve downloaded all the above files you should copy all of them and transfer them on your device’s Internal SD Card. Don’t extract their contents.
- Power off the device and boot the CWM Recovery mode. Do it by pressing ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘Power’, all at the same time and release them only when the CWM Recovery screen loads.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ‘DARKSIDE SUPER WIPE’ zip file on your device’s sdcard and confirm that you wish to flash it. After this step is complete you should move to the next one.
- Now, select ‘mounts and storage’, then, on the next menu select ‘format cache’ and confirm. Wait for this process to complete.
- Next, select once again ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the ROM zip file and install it. After the CM10 Jelly Bean custom ROM was installed move to the next step.
- Repeat step 9 only that now you need to install the ‘Gapps’ zip file. Confirm this installation.
- Now again you will need to repeat step 9 and install the ‘SuperSU/ BusyBox’ zip. This will apply root on your phone. Confirm that you wish to install it.
- After all the above files have been successfully installed you will need to select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the first boot process of CyanogenMod 10 Jelly Bean is completed. That’s it now your device should boot after 10 minutes into Jelly Bean home screen and you should enter your Google account details to take control over your SkyRocket I727 Galaxy S2 smartphone.
If the first boot process cannot complete then you should remove the phone’s battery, re-insert it and then boot once again into CWM Recovery mode and repeat the entire tutorial. Make sure that you read the preparation guide also and use the steps listed there to correctly set your smartphone for the Jelly Bean update.
If you cannot complete this update, then you should post in comments and I will try to help you flash the CM10 based to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Galaxy S2 SkyRocket I727 smartphone.