The AT&T Galaxy S2 can now be updated to Android 4.4 using the first build of OmniROM KitKat Nightly. Use this guide and you’ll learn how to successfully update your device without bricking it.
OmniROM is a new project that is based on AOSP Android 4.4, it packs tons of features along with all the KitKat stock ones. This new OmniROM KitKat packs multiple new features such as the non-obtrusive incoming call notification, multi-window and multiple workspace modes, flippable quick settings, per-app permissions controls, DSP Manager enhancements and others more.
OmniROM has been created by Xplodwild, Chainfire, Dees_troy along with many other contributors. At the moment, the Nightly build of OmniROM Android 4.4 is still in its development stage and you should expect it to pack some small bugs and errors.
This custom ROM is ready to be used on a daily basis, but you shouldn’t install it without creating a full NANDROID Backup of the ROM that is currently installed on your device. There are tons of other things that you should take into consideration before starting the updating process. Here’s what you need to know before starting the instalaltion of OmniROM KitKat nightly on your device:
- This guide works only with the AT&T variant of the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone. The model number of this device is I777.
– do not attempt to update any other devices using the instructions that I’ve listed in this post, as you’ll end up bricking its firmware.
- Your device has to be rooted and running a CWM Recovery Mode.
– make sure that the latest CWM Recovery version is installed, otherwise the guide will not work.
- Before installing the new ROM you will need to apply the Factory Reset.
– Factory Reset removes all data from your device’s system partition, which means that all data from installed apps, SMS text messages and other similar files will be removed.
– Factory Reset doesn’t delete data from internal nor external storage.
- If you want to backup data from installed applications, then you should use the Helium tool — Google Play Store link here.
- Backup SMS text messages and APN Internet Settings using the following small Android utilities: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
– root access will be required in order for these apps to work.
- Sync your Contacts info and People details with your Gmail account.
– guide here.
– this will backup all your saved phone numbers with your Google profile, so that you’ll be able to restore them after the new ROM is flashed.
– make sure to use the same account after the installation is complete.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- Before starting the installation you need to create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device.
– this will set a restore point for your phone and it can be used in case your device doesn’t boot in normal mode .
- Check your phone’s battery power before starting the installation, it needs to be over 50%. This will prevent your device from switching off in the middle of the updating process.
- This guide is for advanced users, do not skip any steps and read the entire post.
- Note that we cannot blamed in case you brick the device nor lose any important data in the process.
- In case you cannot complete the tutorial or you can’t understand some of the instructions listed in this post, then you should ask for extra help in comments.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your device with one of the latest KitKat custom ROMs.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for AT&T Galaxy S2 I777:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– make sure to download the latest version.
- Download the Gapps for KitKat ROMs from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC, then move both zip files to its internal storage.
– don’t extract the archived contents.
– disconnect your device from your computer after the files are transferred successfully.
- Power off your device now.
- Boot the AT&T Galaxy S2 in CWM Recovery Mode.
– after you reach the main custom Recovery screen continue to the next step, but make sure that your phone isn’t connected to your PC.
- First you should create a full NANDROID Backup for the ROM that is currently installed on your device:
– select ‘backup and restore’, save the file to your phone’s internal storage.
> don’t skip this step, as you might need such file in case the new ROM doesn’t boot.
- Now, apply the Factory Reset for your phone.
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, then confirm this process.
> skip this step only in case your device already runs on a previous OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly build.
> Note: if you skip the step and the phone doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- Now that you’ve reached this post, you can finally flash the brand new custom ROM:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option.
– find the OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly zip and confirm the install.
> don’t press any buttons until the process is complete.
- When the ROM is installed you will have to select again ‘choose zip from sdcard’, then flash the Gapps zip too.
- After you manage to complete the installation of both files, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your phone now in normal mode.
> note that your phone will take a while to complete this first boot process.
->if the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to complete or it enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps.
- Enter your Google account info when the installation is complete and your AT&T Galaxy S2 has booted in normal mode.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation of this brand new custom KitKat ROM.
NOTE: if you don’t like this new ROM, you find too many errors or your phone struggles running it, then you can use the NANDROID Backup file created in step 6 and restore it to its previous OS.
If you have any problems completing the installation, then you should ask for extra help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment so that we will be able to determine where the problem lies and help you install OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly on your AT&T Galaxy S2 device.
If you do like the new ROM, then you can continue updating it with new Nightly builds using the same link listed in step 1.