MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 has been launched for some Android devices and now it brings a new port for the AT&T variant of Galaxy S3 smartphone. This port of MIUI JB ROM has been created by Tejh, an XDA forum member and now you can use the instructions listed in this article to learn how to successfully flash this custom ROM on your device.
This new custom ROM by MIUI that is based on Jelly Bean comes with several extra tools such as the in-built theme managed, privacy protection, music app, contacts, a different home launcher, stock MIUI apps. Along with all these you will get all the Jelly Bean functions and features. At the moment, this new ROM is in its first stages of development and it might still have some bugs.
The Screen flickers but it can fixed by disabling the HW overlays. The keyboard doesn’t launch and if you want to fix it, then you will have to open ‘Language & input’ and disable the HW keyboard. Also, MMS isn’t working and this one can be fixed by opening the ‘Settings’ app, then go to APN Settings and tap the ‘ATT LTE APN’ and edit the Authentication Type to ‘none’ and that should do it.
In order to correctly flash this new ROM, you will first need to read the preparation guide below and learn how to configure your smartphone so that you’ll manage to flash this update at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- This release of MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM can be installed only on the AT&T variant of Galaxy S3 with the model number I747. Check this info by opening Settings and then open ‘About phone’ menu and if your device is I747 then you can continue with the rest of this tutorial’s instructions.
- Do not install the ROM on other Galaxy S3 variants as you will end up bricking those devices.
- Your phone should be unlocked and rooted. Also, CWM Recovery image is needed in order to flash this new custom ROM. All these are more familiar to advanced Android users and you should stay away from such processes in case you don’t know how to apply them successfully.
- It is recommended for you to create a full backup of your currently existing ROM. This will help you easily restore your device to a working state in case your phone stops working under MIUI JB ROM.
- To save applications, SMS, Call Logs and APN Internet Settings use the following tools: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
- Sync your phone contacts with your GMail account. This will prevent any stored phone numbers from being deleted during the update.
- You can choose to move all the important files on your device’s internal SD card or you can transfer them to your PC via USB cable.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone.
- Charge the phone’s battery so that the device won’t power OFF while you’re installing the new ROM files.
- Note that you are installing this new ROM at your own risk and that you are the only one to blame in case you damage your device. Make sure that you don’t skip any of the steps that I have listed in the tutorial below.
- If you cannot complete the installation, please use the comments section and ask for our help.
Now that you’ve read all of the above, move to the next part of this tutorial and learn how to successfully flash this MIUI ROM on your phone. I hope that you won’t get stuck in any roadblocks during the installation.
Apply this tutorial only if you’re an advanced Android user. Also, remember that we cannot be held responsible if your SGS3 AT&T gets bricked in the process.
How to update AT&T Galaxy S3 with MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM
- Download the MIUI JB custom ROM from HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract its contents.
- Connect the Galaxy S3 AT&T to your PC via USB cable and transfer the ROM zip file on its internal SDcard.
- After the file is copied you have to disconnect the device and power it OFF completely.
- Now boot into CWM Recovery mode by pressing and holding simultaneously ‘volume up’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when the screen powers ON and the CWM Recovery menu should load.
- If you didn’t create a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM, then you should do it now, via ‘backup and restore’ option that is listed in the clockworkmod recovery menu.
- When you’re in recovery mode you should first select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm that you want to wipe the data. Note that this process won’t delete the contents stored on the internal /external sdcard.
- Now select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and after that select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the MIUI Jelly Bean 4.1 ROM file and confirm that you want to install it.
- When the new ROM has been successfully installed, you should return to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system’.
- Your phone will now restart for the first time with this new ROM. Wait at least 5 minutes for this process to complete.
- When the phone loads normally, you should enter your Google account details and take control over the new Jelly Bean custom ROM and start testing its features.
I think that these are all the steps that you had to take and now your device should be running this new ROM. In case you didn’t manage to update this new ROM, please ask for our help by posting in the comments section at the end of this post.
If the ROM wasn’t installed at your first attempt, then you shouldn’t give up and instead, you should repeat the entire tutorial as eventually you will manage to flash all the new custom ROM files.
In case you don’t like the MIUI Jelly Bean ROM and how it works with your AT&T Galaxy S3, then you should restore the backup of the previously installed ROM. For any additional helping guides for this AT&T variant of SGS3 please click the device’s name listed under this article’s featured photo.