After we have brought you the method in which you could update your Infuse 4G to Ice Cream Sandwich via CM 9 custom ROM, now it’s time to see how do to the same for another custom firmware, the AOKP based Infintum. This update is being developed to work only for the AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G version number I997, so don’t apply the tutorial for similar Android powered devices. More details about the procedure you are about to complete are being explained below, so for making the proper opinion check it all out.
The Infuse was released in January last year, so it’s not a high end smartphone. It’s most relevant specs are including a single core 1.2 GHz processor, a 8 MP rear facing camera along with the 1.3 MP front facing one, a large 4.5-inch Super AMOLED Plus display and the Android Froyo preinstalled. Of course most of the handsets are now featuring the Gingerbread platform, but that’s not satisfying enough as ICS is the most wanted firmware nowadays. As you can see you have all the reasons for powering the up-presented performance us.
And, as usual, for taking full advantage of your phone’s capabilities you must install a custom ROM into its system. With a custom firmware, such as AOKP Infintum, your AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G will gain speed, its OS will be unchained from the factory restrictions and you will be able to customize and optimize the system by your own taste. As stated, the Infintum Custom ROM is being based on the well-known AOKP firmware. The software is having some bug fixes and features that are not found in the default version of the Android platform, such as RAM patch improvement, increase call volume, windows 7 fonts, new visual effects and more.
Unfortunately there are also some issues related to the Bluetooth and TV Out Features that doesn’t work, there is no face unlock, nor voice dictation. But be sure that the AOKP team is working to resolve these problems so that in the near future a new update will come. But until then, the Infintum Custom ROM is all you get for your AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G I997. Remember that the present update is not the official version released by Samsung; this means that by installing the same you will void the warranty which can be regained only when you will apply the official software, or when you will make a downgrade (the bootloader will then be re-locked).
Now, let’s see the things that are being required for the step by step guide from below. Make sure you read these lines as they are the most important ones.
- Backup the data from your Infuse 4G.
- For the text messages saved on your device use backup and restore apps for Android.
- For call logs, use the tips explained in our previous guide from here.
- For the contacts, just sync with your Google Gmail account.
- Then, root the Infuse 4G for being able to apply the AOKP Infintum update.
- Install a custom recovery image (CWM) on your device.
- Make sure that there is at least 70% battery power left in your phone.
- Deactivate the installed Firewall or security tools from your computer and smartphone.
- From the phone’s settings you need to check the USB debugging option. If you don’t know from where to do so, just follow: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
So, after taking care of the up mentioned preparation operations you will be able to go to the next section of the present tutorial. You will have to do as explained or else you will risk in bricking your Insfuse 4G and I know you don’t want that to happen (the warranty is void).
How to Update AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G with AOKP Infintum Custom ROM firmware
- Download the update from here and save it to your PC.
- Then you will have to copy this file from the PC to your phone’s SD card so just connect the device with the computer by using its USB cable.
- Up next you need to disconnect the smartphone and reboot it.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- You can do this by holding the Volume Up and Volume Down Rocker Keys while pressing on the Power button.
- You need to make a full wipe. For this select “Wipe data/factory reset” followed by “Wipe cache partition”.
- As soon as the wipe finishes you need select from the same recovery mode menu to “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”. Just pick the file you have placed on the SD card before.
- Your Infuse will now be updated. Don’t press anything and wait until you will be back on the recovery mode menu.
- Select “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you have succeeded in updating your AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G with the AOKP Infintum Custom ROM firmware. So, do you like it, or you rather prefer the CM 9? Feel free to share your thoughts with us, or ask for our opinion as we will try to offer our assistance. Stay close as we are having the best Android related step by step guides.