Samsung Infuse 4G I997 has just received a brand new custom ROM that is title CypherROM based on AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1. Use all the instructions that I have listed in this post and you will learn how to successfully flash this new ROM. Do not attempt to flash this ROM if you’re a beginner.
This ROM is called Cypher and it is based on AOKP Jelly Bean, but, it is a ported release from other installations and this means that you shouldn’t use it as a daily ROM. It is destined to be used by Android enthusiasts that are looking for new Jelly Bean custom ROMs to test. There are some problems with this ROM, as the video recording at 720p doesn’t work like it should and that’s why you should use 480p.
The Torch is not working but you can download MaxFlash from Play Store as this one will work. OC/ UV settings are packing some problems. Also, Calendar apk isn’t supported. You should use the Nova Launcher as it seems that it works better than APEX and other JB supported home launchers. Another problem is that the Nandroid backup isn’t working and it is broken which means that you will have to wait for future releases of the custom ROM to fix it.
It is an in-development custom ROM and you should install it only for testing purposes. If you still want to flash this ROM, please read first the preparation guide in order to learn how to successfully flash all the CypherROM files. If you don’t understand some of the info listed below, I recommend you to ask for more detailed instructions in comments and we will get back to you. Now that you know all this, move to the preparation guide and learn how correctly configure your Infuse 4G AT&T smartphone and install the CypherROM files at your first attempt. Here’s what you need to know:
- Install the CypherROM based on AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware only on the AT&T Infuse 4G with the model number I997. To check the version of your phone, open Settings and then open the ‘about device’ menu and check the info listed under ‘model number’ and, if the I997 variant is listed then you can continue with the rest of this article’s instructions.
- For this guide to work and the custom ROM to install successfully, your phone has to be unlocked, rooted and running a custom recovery image. If your device meets these requirements, it means that you’re set and can move to the next step.
- It is recommended for you to create a full backup of the existing ROM so that in case this new one doesn’t work or you don’t like it, then you will be able to restore the backup and take control over your phone once again.
- All important data files should be transferred on your computer using the USB data cable. You can restore the files on your device after the ROM is installed and this will prevent them from being erased or corrupted during the installation process.
- Backup the list of the installed applications, SMS, Call Logs and the APN internet settings using these Android tools: AppBAK for Android apps backup | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. These apps are working exclusively with rooted devices.
- Sync your Phone Contacts with your Gmail account. After the ROM is installed you will have to enter the same Google account and the phone numbers will be restored on your phone.
- Enable USB debugging option from the phone’s Developer settings menu.
- The phone’s battery charge levels should be over 70% and you will prevent it from powering OFF during the installation process.
- Note that this guide is for advanced users and you shouldn’t held us responsible in case you damage the phone.
- Install the ROM at your own risk and now that this is an experimental release, which that you will find bugs and errors. Use the comments section and tell us the problems you have found while using this new JB ROM for Infuse 4G smartphone.
I think that this is all you had to know before starting to install the new custom ROM. If you cannot complete the install, please leave a comment and we will help you finish it. Note that you need to read the entire tutorial first and only after you’re sure that you know how to use CWM recovery and to flash the files, you will start the installation.
How to install CypherROM Jelly Bean AOKP 4.1 on your AT&T Infuse 4G
- Download the custom ROM zip file HERE or HERE. Save the file on your PC and do not extract its archived files.
- Download the Cypher Gapps for Jelly Bean HERE. This will need to be flashed after the ROM and it will install the Google based applications. Do not extract the contents comprised within the zip.
- Next, connect the Infuse 4G with your PC using the USB cable and move the files downloaded at step 1 and 2 on the device’s internal sdcard. When the files are copied successfully you should disconnect the device and then power it OFF.
- Remove the phone’s external SD card if there is any plugged in. After that you will need to boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
- Boot into CWM recovery mode by holding pressed ‘volume up’ + ‘volume down’ + ‘power’ buttons at the same time. Release the power button when the Samsung logo screen is displayed, but, keep the volume buttons pressed until the CWM Recovery loads and then you can release them.
- When you’re at the CWM recovery main menu select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option. Confirm the action.
- Next, select ‘wipe cache’ and confirm and after that go to ‘advanced’ and select ‘wipe dalvik cache’. Confirm all these actions.
- Now, go to ‘mounts and storage’ and select ‘format system’. Confirm.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Find the CypherROM zip file and install it. Your phone will restart twice during the installation and then it will return to the recovery menu.
- Now, the phone will restart and return to CWM Recovery main menu and you need to select again ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and flash the Cypher Gapps file.
- After the ROM and the Google apps files are installed successfully you should return to the main custom recovery menu and select ‘reboot system’. Wait for the device to restart, as it will perform its first boot process into a new ROM and this will take at least 5 minutes to complete.
- Enter your Google account details and begin to test all the AOKP CypherROM features and functions.
I hope that you managed to install all the files and that your phone works smoothly with this release. NOTE: In case the device gets stuck into a boot loop or in case it gets stuck at the boot logo for more than 15 minutes, then you will be forced to power it OFF and then repeat the entire tutorial once again. This time you should make sure that you apply the steps 6, 7 and 8. Without those actions completed successfully, your device cannot install the Jelly Bean ROM.
If you have any other questions please leave them posted as comments at the end of this article.
Thanks to Yuma75 for creating this ROM.