The new Android 7.0 Nougat official update is rolling out finally in Canada for all the 2017 Galaxy A5 users.
If you are an advanced user who want to test the new Android Nougat firmware, and you do not wish to wait until Samsung pushes the new files in your region, then this is the guide that you should follow.
The tutorial below can be used in case you have installed a custom ROM on your phone, too. The installation of Android 7.0 Nougat update is done with ODIN, as this tool is capable of flashing the new firmware over custom ROMs, too.
If you are running a stock Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware, and you don’t want to manually complete the update, then you can wait for Samsung to push the new firmware files in your region.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 Canada models.
– the version of your phone has to be the SM – A520W.
– don’t use the tutorial for any other different Android devices.
- download and install the Android 7.0 Nougat firmware from here.
– install the drivers on your computer.
- for the installation of this new firmware update you will use the ODIN 3.12.3 tool.
Odin is a small developers tool that can be used to install new official updates manually.
- for the ODIN app to work with your computer, and for it to connect to your Galaxy A5 device, you will need to enable the USB Debugging from the phone’s Developer Options menu.
– if you cannot find Developer Options, then you have to unhide this menu first: go to Settings> About Device and tap seven times on the Build number section.
– return to Settings, find Developer Options, and enable USB Debugging.
- the Android 7.0 Nougat update can be flashed with ODIN over rooted firmware, but you should know that root access won’t survive the update process.
– if you’ve flashed any custom Recovery, then this will be replaced with stock Recovery after the update is done.
- you can install the new update over custom ROMs, but you need to know that a Factory Reset process has to be applied after the update is done installing.
– the Factory Reset is going to remove the custom ROM completely, and wipe the system partition in the process
– no data files will be lost from the internal storage.
– the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of the tutorial.
- if your phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this post.
- check the whole tutorial and do not skip any steps.
- use the tutorial only if you are an advanced user.
– don’t blame us in case you brick the phone.
- make sure to create backups for all important apps before starting the update process.
Now that you know all that you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to manually update your smartphone.
How to flash Android 7.0 Nougat Update for Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 Canada:
- Download the Android 7.0 Nougat update archive file from here.
This firmware is for the unlocked models. For carrier-based firmware go here.
- After the download is complete you can extract the archived contents and save them on your PC.
You should obtain the A520WVLU1BQI1 tar.md5 firmware update file. Don’t extract the tar.md5 firmware file.
- Download Odin 3.12.3 zip from here.
– when the download is complete you need to unzip the file.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot it in Download Mode.
- Open ODIN exe on your PC.
- Connect the phone to PC via usb cable.
Wait for ODIN to detect the phone, then continue to the next step.
– if the Galaxy A5 is not added you need to reinstall the Samsung usb drivers.
- Get to ODIN main menu and click the AP button.
- Now, find and load the A520WVLU1BQI1 tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- When ready simply click START and ODIN will begin the update process.
Don’t press anything during installation.
- When the update is done you will see the PASS alert shown by ODIN, and your phone will boot in normal mode.
Use your default login data in order to unlock the device.
Unplug the Galaxy A5 device from PC when the boot is complete.
If the installations fails for whatever reason, then you should attempt to repeat the tutorial after you re-read the guidelines above the tutorial and after your make sure that the phone is supported.
Check the info below in case the phone doesn’t boot in normal mode after the update is done.
If the PASS alert is displayed by ODIN, but your phone enters in a boot loop or it gets stuck at the boot animation screen, then you will have to Factory Reset the device.
The Factory Reset steps listed below should be applied by Galaxy A5 users that have installed the new official update over a custom ROM.
Here’s how to factory reset the device and force it to boot in normal mode:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot the device in normal mode and you are done.
If you need more help you can tell us in comments.